Thomas M. Farrell is the former managing partner of the Houston office. He has handled complex commercial cases and class actions for more than 30 years. He has substantial experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in construction disputes; securities cases; oil and gas, and real estate disputes; insurance coverage cases; ERISA cases; and a variety of breach-of-contract, fraud, and tortious-interference matters.
His clients have included individuals, major corporations, closely held businesses, governmental agencies, and foreign sovereigns. He also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to appellate matters. He has argued cases in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th and 9th Circuits, the Texas Supreme Court, and several courts of appeals throughout Texas.
Following law school, Tom served as a law clerk for the Honorable Carolyn Dineen King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. While attending the University of Houston Law Center, he received the University of Houston Law Foundation Academic Excellence Award.
- Representation of hundreds of investors who purchased unregistered securities in a settlement against two major brokerage firms.
- Defense of a national publishing company in a putative class action alleging deceptive trade practices, obtaining a dismissal in the pleadings.
- Defense of a general contractor in a construction case alleging years of delay and delay damages, obtaining a no-liability summary judgment.
- Representation of a general contractor in a payment dispute, obtaining a jury verdict against the owner for fraud and breach of contract.
- Defense of a general contractor in a claim for alleged delays and non-performance, obtaining a jury verdict rejecting all claims to lost rentals and other consequential damages.
- University of Houston Law Center, JD, Order of the Coif, Publications Editor, Houston Law Review, 1984
- The University of Vermont, BA, 1980
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court.
Rate : $$$