Thomas Barnard is a former Assistant United States Attorney, military prosecutor and military defense counsel with more than 20 years of government experience. Based in the Baltimore office, Mr. Barnard is a shareholder in Baker Donelson’s Government Enforcement and Investigations Group with first chair criminal and civil trial experience.
With a primary focus on advising clients in response to government investigations, he offers full-spectrum legal services to entities and individuals involved in any phase of government investigations.
Mr. Barnard offers in-depth experience with qui tams under the False Claims Act as well as federal and state investigations, with a large portion of his practice serving organizations and professionals in Health and Defense Industries.
Other areas of practice include government contracts and procurement fraud; cybersecurity; National Security; Military Law; defending Law Enforcement in Civil Rights litigation; and general commercial litigation and trial experience.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Barnard served in the Civil Division of the United States Attorney’s Office in the District of Maryland. During his tenure there, he served as counsel for the United States in numerous investigations under the False Claims Act, focusing on government contract and health care fraud.
He also served as counsel in a wide range of defensive civil litigation for the United States, handling all aspects of cases through discovery, motions, mediation, trial and appeal.
As the office eDiscovery coordinator, Mr. Barnard served on the Department of Justice eDiscovery Working Group, on the District of Maryland Sub-Committee on eDiscovery, and as a lecturer on eDiscovery at the National Advocacy Center.
Mr. Barnard’s military career is an integral part of his current practice, where he relies on decades of military service to better understand the unique needs of clients who regularly interact or do business with the government.
Prior to his military retirement, he was a judge advocate in the Maryland National Guard, where he supervised legal planning and support for the Guard’s domestic operations.
Before joining the Guard, he served on Active Duty, where he litigated criminal and administrative matters as both government counsel and defense counsel, served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, and worked extensively as a legal advisor for matters related to military intelligence. Mr. Barnard initially served as a military police officer overseas before being selected for the Army’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
- University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2001
- United States Military Academy, B.S., 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- Resolved claims on behalf of the United States with a spinal device manufacturer accused of miscoding and off-label promotion for $585,000.
- Resolved claims on behalf of the United States against a government construction contractor accused of falsely certifying compliance with the Davis Bacon Act for $450,000.
- Resolved claims on behalf of the United States with a spinal device manufacturer accused of off-label marketing and kick-backs to physicians for $13.5 million.
- Resolved claims on behalf of the United States against a government contractor for allegations of over-charging labor costs based on falsely inflated resumes for $1.1 million.
- Pro bono assistance to a client in Baltimore City to secure substantial recovery from a home improvement contractor.
- Secured dismissal of charge for a medical company executive charged with wrongful possession of a firearm.
- Secured dismissal of charge for a physician charged with assault.
- Assisted a large government contractor in a successful protest of California public contract decision resulting in award of contract to client.
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – Criminal Justice Act Panel, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Member – Baltimore City Bar Association
- Member – Federal Bar Association
Rate : $$$$