Thomas W. Hess has more than 40 years of experience representing assisted living facilities, durable medical equipment companies, home health agencies, hospice providers, hospitals, nursing homes, pharmacies, physicians and other licensed health care providers before state, federal and administrative courts across the country.
He is a past member of the firm’s Board of Directors and immediate past chair of the Government Relations and Health Care Industry practice groups.
Leveraging extensive experience with a thorough understanding of the issues facing the health care industry, Tom takes a practical, yet aggressive, approach to help clients meet their needs while also mitigating risk.
Within the constantly-evolving industry, he guides clients through myriad challenges, including certificate of need, health care fraud investigations, as well as issues related to Medicare and Medicaid audits, overpayments, certifications, exclusions and reimbursement.
Additionally, he has assisted clients with the acquisition and disposition of health care facilities and practices, demonstrating a knowledge of not only the industry’s distinctive operations but also of traditional business transactions.
Understanding that complex health care reform initiatives have dramatically impacted the industry’s operations, Tom, a former assistant attorney general in Ohio, utilizes his familiarity with the regulatory agencies and their procedures to provide clients with the insight they need to confidently move forward.
A frequent speaker on health care issues throughout the country, he uses his experience to provide clients with knowledgeable and efficient counsel in a constantly-evolving industry.
- Capital University School of Law (J.D., 1976)
- Ohio University (B.S.Ed., cum laude, 1973)
Bar Admissions : Ohio
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association, Health Law Committee, past chairperson
- Ohio Board of Examiners of Nursing Home Administrators, Board of Directors, past member, vice chairman
- Arthritis Foundation of Central Ohio, Board of Trustees, past member
- University of Cincinnati, College of Allied Health Sciences, adjunct professor
Rate : $$$$