Thomas Kinney counsels insurers and reinsurers through complex arbitrations and litigation. He also advises clients of emerging risks and new developments in the insurance and reinsurance industries, such as the ALI’s Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance, approved in 2018.
Tom’s practice involves litigation, arbitration and counseling on a wide range of insurance and reinsurance issues, with an emphasis on complex insurance coverage disputes.
In his reinsurance practice, Tom counsels clients across the life, health and property/casualty markets on issues including contract and policy interpretation, yearly renewable term reinsurance premiums, notice, underwriting practices and claims management.
Tom also represents insurers in a wide range of direct-side insurance coverage disputes. He has experience litigating coverage disputes in both state and federal courts, involving aviation, asbestos liability, environmental contamination, traumatic brain injury and sexual abuse claims relating to institutional policyholders.
Tom has experience representing insurance trade associations involved as amici in important coverage cases, and counsels property and casualty insurers on emerging risks and litigation trends.
Tom has an active pro bono practice, with an emphasis on domestic relations issues. He represents a number of parents and custodial grandparents in custody actions at the trial court level, including a custodial mother in a matter before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
Representative Matters :
- Represented several reinsurers in disputes over proper administration of YRT reinsurance treaties, and the reinsurers’ ability to raise rates thereunder.
- Advised an insurer in an action to rescind an aviation insurance policy based on material misrepresentations made by the policyholder when soliciting insurance coverage.
- Represented insurers in long-tail coverage disputes involving liability for asbestos-related bodily injury and progressive environmental contamination.
- Advised an insurer regarding its response to sexual abuse claims made against institutional policyholders.
Professional Experience : Judicial Law Clerk, District of Columbia Superior Court, 2013-2015
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2012
- University of New Hampshire, B.A., 2008
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, Maryland
Rate : $$$$