Pillsbury partner Thomas Klaus Gump advises on corporate and finance matters, including debt and equity financings, M&A, and other strategic transactions, with special focus on energy, financial services and technology sectors.
The leader of Pillsbury’s San Francisco Finance practice, Tom has provided counseling, structuring, negotiating and deal management guidance to project sponsors, cash equity investors, tax equity investors and project finance lenders on energy project development and finance matters involving conventional and non-carbon-based lines of fuel for nearly 25 years.
He has also served as lead counsel on complex M&As, stock and asset purchases, joint venture formations and private resales of restricted securities. In the area of debt and equity finance, Tom regularly represents U.S.-based and international financial institutions, and their borrowers.
He has closed deals valued up to $19 billion, including secured and unsecured commercial loans, leveraged and unleveraged equipment leases, structured finance transactions, project financings, tax equity financings, leveraged buyouts, mezzanine and syndicated loans, trade finance facilities and other matters governed by the Uniform Commercial Code.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented a super-major oil company in connection with the formation and capitalization of a joint venture to conduct oil drilling and exploration activities in the former Soviet Union.
- Advised leading operator of renewable energy electric power generating facilities in connection with the disposition by auction of a multijurisdictional portfolio of wind farms.
- Represented leading operator of renewable energy, electric power-generating facilities in a non-recourse project financing of a portfolio of solar farms, including term loan, letter of credit and tax credit monetization tranches.
- Represented company in organization and capitalization, including the issuance of $65 million in Series A Preferred Stock, Series B Preferred Stock and Series C Preferred Stock, and $45 million in equipment leases.
- Represented General Electric Capital Corp. in connection with the restructuring of its equity and debt interests in the EcoElectrica liquefied natural gas plant in Puerto Rico.
- Represented a leading developer and operator of solar installation in the United States in connection with the non-recourse financing of new facility upgrade.
- Represented a global energy concern in connection with its equity ownership in a fuel cell joint venture, including the subsequent sale of the joint venture to an industry acquirer.
- Robert Bosch Foundation Fellow, 1995 – 1996
- Robert Bosch Foundation Fellow Alumni Organization, 1996 – present
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1992
- B.A., Georgetown University, 1989
ADMISSIONS : California, New York, District of Columbia
CLERKSHIPS : Law clerk to Chief Judge Loren A. Smith, U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rate : $$$