Thomas M. Lingan is an environmental attorney who represents public and private entities in environmental litigation and compliance counseling. Tom concentrates his practice on civil and criminal environmental litigation, administrative enforcement proceedings, environmental tort litigation involving property contamination, and personal injury, with a particular focus on permitting and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance for large infrastructure projects.
He is also well versed in all aspects of environmental due diligence involving real estate and corporate transactions. Tom is familiar with virtually all significant environmental compliance and litigation matters, including matters involving air, water, solid waste, toxic substances, asbestos, lead paint, community right-to-know, and endangered species
He currently serves as principal NEPA co-counsel for the Maryland Transportation Authority. Tom also has significant experience in defending citizen suit challenges brought under various federal environmental statutes.
- Represented the Baltimore City Department of Public Works, Perdue Farms Inc., and Verizon Wireless, among other clients, in environmental litigation and compliance matters
- Served as principal outside environmental counsel for the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) and Baltimore City in federal consent decree negotiations involving sanitary sewer overflows and other issues relating to their sanitary waste collection systems, one of a few attorneys to handle such consent decree negotiations for two major jurisdictions
- Serves as outside NEPA counsel for the Maryland Transportation Authority (MTA) on several large infrastructure projects
- J.D.cum laudeUniversity of Baltimore School of Law1986
- B.A.Wheeling College1974
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), Environmental Law Section
- Member, Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Former board member, Maryland Disability Law Center (MDLC) – has been honored by the organization for his services on behalf of people with disabilities
- Member, Board of Visitors, University of Maryland Center for Environmental Studies
- Member, Greater Baltimore Committee (GBC) Leadership Class of 2009
- Founding board member, Turning Pages, Inc., a prison literacy project
- Member, University of Baltimore School of Law’s Law Liaison Committee
- Former member, Board of Directors, Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) Foundation; previously served on the Board of Trustees for CCBC, including three years as chairman and six years as vice chairman.
Rate : $$$