Thomas J. McGarrigle is a partner and member of the firm’s Complex Litigation Group. He joined Reed Smith in 1985 following a successful seven year career as a prosecutor. Tom is a member of the firm’s Trial Council in recognition of his significant trial experience in both the federal and state courts. He led the 40 attorney Philadelphia/Wilmington Commercial Litigation Group as Practice Group Leader.
Tom focuses his practice in resolving client disputes in complex commercial matters. He represents clients in conducting internal investigations, corporate governance, contract disputes, deceptive trade practices, trademark, trade dress, franchise, restrictive covenant, construction and professional negligence matters. Tom has extensive experience in jury and bench trials, arbitrations and mediations.
He represents businesses in the gas, oil, chemical. insurance, pharmaceutical, consumer products/services and real estate markets. Tom has led trial, arbitration and mediation teams in achieving excellent results. Tom represents both plaintiffs and defendants in commercial disputes with a focus on the efficient delivery of legal services.
Tom has lectured at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on civil practice and procedure. He is a certified arbitrator for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Tom served as a member of the Investigative Division of the Commission on Judicial Retention and Selection of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
Prior to joining Reed Smith, he was appointed to the position of Assistant District Attorney for the City of Philadelphia. He served in the Appellate, Investigation and Trial Divisions of that office. Tom frequently appeared for oral argument before the Pennsylvania Supreme and Superior Courts. As a trial lawyer, he successfully tried hundreds of criminal prosecutions, and obtained convictions in all 22 of his jury trials.
Tom is a 1978 graduate of the Villanova University School of Law where he was a member of the Law Review and graduated in the top 10 percent of his class. He graduated cum laude from Villanova University in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting.
Tom is admitted to practice before the Bars of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the United States District Court for the District of Arizona and the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
- Villanova University School of Law, 1978, J.D., Member of the Law Review; Graduated in the top 10 percent of his class
- Villanova University, 1975, B.S., Accounting, cum laude
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court – District of Arizona
- State Supreme Court – Pennsylvania
Professional Affiliations :
- Certified arbitrator for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Served as a member of the Investigative Division of the Commission on Judicial Retention and Selection
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
- Lead trial counsel in three week trial against former COB, President, CEO and largest shareholder of a publicly held company that manufactures over the counter cold relief products, and others for breaches of fiduciary duty, aiding and abetting and conspiracy. Allegations of self dealing included transferring stock to offshore companies for no consideration and selling company assets to related parties for less than market value. Obtained multimillion dollar settlement including forfeiture of stock at close of case.
- Led team in a RICO and breach of fiduciary duty action filed by a privately held medical device company against its former CEO and largest shareholder in the United States District Court of New Jersey. Reed Smith replaced the client’s prior counsel after the complaint was filed. Tom and his team developed and implemented strategy that resulted in recovery of client’s damages including the forfeiture of defendant’s stock.
- Conducted Internal Investigation for and reported to Board of quasi governmental agency over allegations made against agency’s former CEO.
- Conducted Internal Investigation for and reported to Board of Non Profit following allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties by non profit’s CEO made by other company executive officers.
Rate : $$$$