Thomas J. Moloney is member of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. Thomas Moloney is the firm’s senior litigation partner. Tom joined the firm in 1976 and became a partner in 1984.
His practice focuses on complex commercial litigations and major restructuring disputes. Over a 40-year career, Tom has achieved formidable success as a trial and appellate lawyer in multiple substantive fields of law, including on a number of occasions, creating new precedents benefiting his clients.
- Assured Guaranty in an action brought by Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in New York state court, commercial division, in which Lehman seeks $1.4 billion based on allegations that Assured improperly calculated the settlement amount upon termination of numerous credit default swaps subject to an ISDA Master Agreement.
- BHP Billiton in connection with litigation stemming from the company’s unsolicited $40 billion all-cash offer to acquire PotashCorp.
- A large chemical company in successfully defending, at trial and on appeal, a dispute involving a petrochemicals plant.
- A defendant in a dispute arising from an M&A transaction involving disputed post-acquisition price adjustments and breach of warranty claims representing a major prime broker against claims based on rogue trades.
- The Dow Chemical Company, and its officers and directors, in securing the dismissal of a shareholder derivative suit alleging violations of federal proxy law and other state law violations in connection with the approval of Dow’s 1988 and 2012 stock option plans.
- Major financial institutions in the successful defense of litigations involving claims arising from the collapse of the original 7 World Trade Center building.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1976
- Columbia College, A.B., 1973
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeal: Second, Third and Fourth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts: Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York; Eastern District of Michigan
Rate : $$$