Mr. Burke defends speech across all mediums – representing Internet companies, television networks, studios, book, magazine and newspaper publishers, authors, journalists, photographers, documentary filmmakers, and environmental groups.
With over 27 years of trial and appellate experience in California’s state and federal courts, Mr. Burke’s practice covers the full spectrum of content liability issues including libel, privacy, right of publicity, Section 230, DMCA, false advertising, trademark, and First Amendment claims.
A veteran newsroom lawyer, Mr. Burke also provides pre-publication counseling, defends journalists facing subpoenas seeking the disclosure of confidential sources and regularly prosecutes state and federal public records lawsuits.
Mr. Burke is a Continuing Lecturer on Media Law at the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of “Anti-SLAPP Litigation” (The Rutter Group 2013-present) and a Contributing Editor to Weil & Brown, “Cal. Practice Guide: Civil Procedure Before Trial” (The Rutter Group 2014-present) (Anti-SLAPP Motions).
Professional & Community Activities:
- Chair, DWT Pro Bono and Public Service Committee, 2018-present
- Lecturer, J255, Law & Ethics, Graduate School of Journalism, University of California, Berkeley, 2002-present
- Member, National Board of Advisors, Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University, 2013
- Governing Board of the ABA Forum on Communications Law, 2008-2011
- Appointed Member, Commission for Impartial Courts, California Task Force on Judicial Campaign Conduct, 2007-2009
- Co-chair, Freedom of Information Committee, Northern California Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, 2006-2008
- Member, Internet Law, Membership and Prepublication Review Committees, Media Law Resource Center, 2002-present
- Legal Advisor, First Amendment Coalition, 1990-present
- Legal Advisor, Student Press Law Center, 2008-present
- Member, San Francisco Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights, 2009-present
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1989, magna cum laude
- B.S., Broadcast Journalism, Arizona State University, 1984, magna cum laude
Rate : $$$