Thomas Wechter practices in the area of tax planning for individuals, corporations and private equity and venture capital firms, particularly with respect to complex transactions involving acquisitions, dispositions, spinoffs and new venture investments. Mr. Wechter represents clients before the U.S. Tax Court, the U.S. Court of Federal claims and U.S. district courts.
Mr. Wechter is a 1966 graduate of the University of Chicago Law School and a graduate of New York University School of Law (LL.M., Taxation, with honors, 1968) and the University of Michigan.
Representative Matters : Represented JCG Foods, an affiliate of Koch Foods, in winning an auction in connection with an $80 million sale under section 363 of the bankruptcy code, obtaining bankruptcy court approval of the sale and entering into an Asset Purchase Agreement.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- Duane Morris LLP, – Partner, 2011-present
- Schiff Hardin LLP, – Partner/Of Counsel, 1998-2010
- Holleb & Coff, – Partner, 1984-1998
- U.S. Department of Justice, Trial Division, – Trial Attorney, 1968-1974
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Lecturer, University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
- Assistant Professor, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Rate : $$$$