Thomas E. Reilly is a partner in the Business Litigation practice of Troutman Sanders, with almost twenty years of experience. Tom’s distinguished trial record includes successful outcomes in various state and federal trial courts, as well as numerous reported cases in the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court.
Tom represents companies in high profile, high stakes business disputes, including claims for breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference, and other business torts and statutory claims.
His clients include public and private companies from various industries, including banking and other financial services, real estate, energy, telecommunications, transportation, and manufacturing.
Tom has served as lead trial counsel for clients in jury trials, bench trials, mediations and arbitration proceedings in numerous jurisdictions, including Delaware, Florida, Georgia, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas. Tom also has extensive appellate experience.
Representative Matters :
- Lead counsel to Georgia state agency in putative class action on behalf of millions of citizens alleging data breach claims.
- Litigation counsel for national bank in Delaware bankruptcy proceeding concerning valuation of national portfolio of office and retail properties and appropriate loan terms.
- Lead trial counsel for various parties in federal and state court litigation involving loans of failed financial institutions sold out of receivership by FDIC, including application of D’oench, Duhme defenses.
- Lead trial counsel for Independent Sales Organization in payment card processing industry in breach of contract litigation with Third Party Processor in Texas.
- Representing major utility company against putative class action lawsuit concerning calculation of customer bills with respect to municipal franchise fee costs recovery.
- Counsel to major utility company in litigation for breach of contract, negligence and declaratory judgment concerning alleged business interruption and lost profits.
- Lead counsel to software developer in litigation and arbitration concerning breach of contract, business torts and copyright infringement claims.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- State Bar of Georgia (Member, Litigation Section and Real Property Section)
- Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network, Board of Directors
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1996
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 1992
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Georgia State Courts
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$