Thomas S. Hillier has over 35 years of private practice focusing on transactional real estate matters, with extensive experience representing parties in the acquisition and disposition of commercial real property, including office buildings, shopping centers, and apartment complexes.
His clients include both landlords and tenants in commercial leases with a focus on office and restaurant space. He represents lenders and borrowers in real estate financing and is often called upon to give real estate enforceability opinions.
Tom’s list of clients includes investors involved in tax deferred exchanges, tenant-in-common transactions, and other forms of real estate securities offerings. Tom now uses this experience to perform due diligence review and analysis of EB-5 offering materials on behalf of migration agents and investors, negotiating with the promoter protective provisions when necessary.
Tom speaks extensively to the real estate brokerage community and has authored the Oregon State Bar Continuing Legal Education chapter on promissory notes. He also teaches classes to Oregon real estate brokers on brokerage law, real estate contract forms, and best practices.
- Represented Waylink Inc. assisting a foreign migration agent in due diligence analysis of projects for potential EB-5 investors
- Represented the purchaser of senior living facilities throughout the country involving acquisition, financing, and sale of tenant-in-common shares to investors
- Has substantial local counsel experience on behalf of lenders and borrowers reviewing real estate documents for compliance with Oregon law, and rendering local counsel enforceability opinions
Professional & Community Activities:
- Board Member, Dougy Center, 2007-2015
- American Bar Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Real Estate and Land Use Section, Oregon State Bar
- Construction Section, Oregon State Bar
- Pro Bono Counsel, K T Foundation of Oregon, 2004-2015
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1980
- B.A., Economics, University of Oregon, 1977, with honors
Rate : $$$$