Mr. Thomas R. Valen represents an exceptional range of domestic and international clients in major complex dispute resolution and business counseling matters in the United States and abroad. Mr. Valen’s flexible, practical approach to dispute resolution enables him to represent his client’s needs in whatever forum a dispute may arise.
His experience, business judgment, and training help him serve the needs of corporations and individuals in both civil and criminal litigation, enabling him to efficiently handle his clients’ most significant matters involving either governmental or private claims, including commercial litigation, white collar criminal defense, internal investigations, and shareholder disputes.
A recent matter that illustrates Mr. Valen’s breadth of experience and his focus on finding practical, business-oriented solutions to his client’s problems is his ongoing representation of a multibillion-dollar hedge fund in defense of insider trading charges.
The New York-based fund was the subject of Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigations in multiple jurisdictions in the United States, as well as in several countries in Asia. The matters in the United States have been resolved without any individuals facing criminal charges, and with civil resolutions that will enable the fund to resume operations in the future, with enhanced compliance programs to prevent future violations.
Mr. Valen continues to work with the client’s non-U.S. counsel to ensure a resolution of those matters that similarly enhances the client’s ability to continue to operate its business effectively and in compliance with all applicable laws.
- Rutgers School of Law – Newark (J.D., with honors)
- Order of the Coif
- Cornell University (B.A.)
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Task Force on Equal Treatment in the Courts, 1994-1997
Rate : $$$