Thomas C. Walsh’s practice concentrates on federal and state taxation of insurance companies and products. With more than 20 years of experience in tax, corporate insurance, and regulatory matters, Tom counsels life insurance clients, as well as property and casualty insurance clients, on a wide range of insurance-related tax issues.
He regularly represents major insurance companies in significant, contested, federal income tax matters before the Appeals Division of the Internal Revenue Service, and in litigation before both the U.S. Tax Court and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Tom was primarily responsible for the tax work on one of the first “living benefits” life insurance policies developed in the United States. In addition, he has addressed tax issues on the leading edge of insurance product development and has considerable experience analyzing tax law and advising clients on changes affecting their business plans.
His articles have appeared in the Insurance Tax Review, and he has served as an instructor in IRS training courses on insurance taxation.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Insurance Tax Conference
- Instructor, IRS Training Seminar
Community Leadership :
- Director, GPF Charitable Fund, Inc.
- Director, Groupe Professionel Francophone
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1979
- B.A., magna cum laudewith high honors, University of Michigan, 1976
Admissions : Illinois, 1979
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1985
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1986
Rate : $$$