Thomas R. Waskom’s practice focuses on class action, mass tort and environmental litigation. Tom is a litigator, handling complex civil matters, including class actions and mass torts. Tom has successfully defended class actions and product liability cases on behalf of companies in a variety of industries, including consumer and industrial products, energy and transportation.
At every phase of a matter, Tom works towards a successful resolution that aligns with each client’s business, strategic and legal goals. Tom’s practice extends beyond litigation: he counsels and advises clients regarding regulatory issues and risk mitigation.
Tom represents multiple Fortune 100 companies in consumer class action, mass tort, product liability and environmental litigation in trial and appellate courts across the United States. He has also represented companies in class actions relating to alleged data breaches; securities fraud; and violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Before joining the firm, Tom worked in politics. He ran a campaign in 1999, served as Special Assistant to the Secretary of Education of Virginia, and was named Acting Assistant Secretary of Education for the Commonwealth in 2001.
Tom is admitted to practice in the US Supreme Court, the US Court of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh and Federal Circuits, the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the Eastern District of Michigan, the Southern District of New York, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Northern District of Illinois, the District Court for the District of Columbia, and all state courts of New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- Lead counsel for major personal care products manufacturer in class actions relating to labeling, marketing and formulation of shaving gel, sunscreen and aftersun care products.
- National coordinating counsel for multinational industrial manufacturer in litigation arising from alleged trace benzene exposure.
- Lead counsel for multinational manufacturer of industrial and automotive coatings in multijurisdictional breach-of-contract litigation against purchasers arising from longterm supply and incentiver agreements.
- Lead counsel for telecommunications provider in class action in the Eastern District of Virginia relating to alleged violations of the TCPA and state consumer protection statutes.
- Represent Fortune 10 company in a nationwide product liability class action involving over 50 million household appliances, resulting in denial of class certification and nuisance-value individual settlements for the two named plaintiffs.
- Represent leading manufacturer of consumer electronics in class actions across the country alleging violations of consumer protection statutes arising from the sale of cell phones and televisions.
- Represent consumer product manufacturer in data breach class action alleging release of highly confidential customer information.
- Represent a Fortune 100 company in several mass actions brought by foreign-national plaintiffs seeking recovery for alleged occupational and environmental exposure overseas.
- Tried cases to jury verdict, drafted and argued successful motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment in state and federal courts, and drafted successful appellate, class certification and expert admissibility briefs.
- Taken and defended the depositions of expert witnesses and fact witnesses, including corporate representatives.
- Served as a Special Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Richmond on a pro bono basis, prosecuting a wide range of criminal matters.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
- BA, Economics, Classics, Hampden-Sydney College, 1999
- New York
- Co-chair, Virginia Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Membership Committee
- Member, John Marshall Inn of Court
Rate : $$$