Mr. Thomas Baker has extensive experience representing a wide variety of health care providers and suppliers of goods and services to the health industry, including hospitals, physicians, physician group practices, nursing homes, accountable care organizations, home health agencies, rehabilitation agencies, hospices, facilities for the developmentally disabled, independent diagnostic testing facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, rehabilitation therapy providers, management companies, durable medical equipment suppliers and assisted living and personal care homes.
He is skilled in matters involving health care mergers and acquisitions, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse, including both OIG and Stark Law self-disclosures, formulation and implementation of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Plans, clinical and financial integration strategies, Accountable Care Organizations that participate in the Medicare Shared Savings Program, application of the Physician Payments Sunshine Act and managed care agreements.
Mr. Baker has represented and assisted with business planning for corporations, limited liability companies, limited liability partnerships, limited partnerships, general partnerships and entrepreneurs, including health care providers and practitioners, in transactions including acquisitions and sales of businesses, mergers, joint ventures, trade regulation, non-competition agreements, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, shareholder disputes, non-profit and tax-exempt organizations, and general contract and business matters.
Mr. Baker also is experienced in the financing of business ventures, including venture capital, private investment, commercial debt and bond financing. He has served emerging growth companies involved in health care, health care information, bio-medical goods and services and electronic commerce.
Because of his wealth of experience as both a health care attorney and an adjunct professor at Auburn University where he teaches a course on “The Legal Aspects of Health Care Business Transactions” in the Auburn Physicians Executive MBA Program, Mr. Baker is sometimes engaged to facilitate strategic planning meetings to assist businesses in developing survival strategies for a changing health care economy.
Mr. Baker also provides general educational presentations on the content of his book he authored on, “The Legal Aspects of Health Care Business Transactions,” including, the statutes and regulations that govern health care business transactions; contracts; capital financing; mergers and acquisitions; and corporate governance and fiduciary duty.
Mr. Baker is a prolific speaker and writer, having delivered more than 60 speeches and written more than 30 articles on topics including managing regulatory risk, corporate compliance plans and business ethics, developing survival strategies in a changing health care economy and other health care regulatory topics.
- Vanderbilt University, J.D., 1981
- Georgia State University, M.B.A., 1978
- Syracuse University, A.B., 1972
ADMISSIONS : Georgia, 1981
- Advised a biotechnology company on Series A preferred stock venture capital funding.
- Advised several health care delivery systems on development of clinically integrated networks to compete in a coordinated payment economy.
- Represented Accountable Care Organization in a combination $3,000,000 investment and infrastructure technology licensing agreement.
- Represented thirty cardiologists from thirteen medical practices in organizing a limited liability company that entered into a clinical service line co-management agreement with a health care delivery system.
- Represented an orthopedist group regarding clinical service line co-management agreement with a health care delivery system and acquisition of ownership interests in a physician-hospital joint venture ambulatory surgery center.
- Advised medical device manufacturers and other clients regarding the Physician Payments Sunshine Act.
- Assisted a critical access hospital in the acquisition of a home health agency.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers as a leading Healthcare lawyer since 2010
- Named an Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyer by Nightingale’s Healthcare News (2009)
- Listed in Atlanta Business Chronicle’s “Who’s Who in Health Care” (2004 and 2005)
- Member – State Bar of GeorgiaMember – American Health Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$