Thomas G. Yoxall, a Vice-Chair of the Firm and member of the Firm’s Executive Committee, handles financial services cases, class action litigation and general commercial litigation. He frequently defends clients in nationwide and state class actions.
Tom regularly litigates cases involving mortgage lending practices, automobile dealer financing, consumer rebates, antitrust, products liability, breach of warranty, fraud, fair debt collection practices, and consumer protection.
He has extensive experience in general commercial litigation and has tried several lawsuits involving significant questions of constitutional law.
- Represented multiple mortgage servicing companies in cases throughout the United States in cases alleging improper mortgage servicing practices in class actions, mass actions and investigations.
- Represented regional tollway authority in defending multi-million dollar putative class action relating to alleged improper and excessive administrative fees.
- Represented intervenor associations in support of the State of Texas in a constitutional challenge to a state statute prohibiting insurance company ownership of body shops. After a 7-day trial, the trial court found that the statute did not violate the Commerce Clause, and the Fifth Circuit affirmed.
- Represented intervenor associations in support of the State of Texas in a constitutional challenge to the state Blue Law relating to vehicle sales. After a 4-day trial, the trial court declared the Blue Law constitutional. Plaintiffs appealed, but subsequently dismissed their appeal.
- Represented national mortgage company in purported class action claims involving the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act and the unauthorized practice of law. The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit reversed the certification orders.
- Represented automobile dealers in purported class action involving financing. After a week-long jury trial, the jury rendered a defense verdict. The trial court then certified the case as a class action and the Texas Court of Appeals reversed the certification.
Professional History :
- Member, Locke Lord Executive Committee
- Judicial Clerk to Honorable John McBryde, United District Court for Northern District of Texas (1992 – 1993)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Mac Taylor Inn of Court
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1992
- B.A., History, with honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1988
Admissions : Texas; U.S. Supreme Court
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Rate : $$$