Tim Johnson is chair of Locke Lord’s White Collar Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations practice in the Houston office and the former United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas.
Tim has represented and defended individuals and corporations in a wide variety of matters, including those related to the environment, oil and gas, health care, SEC enforcement and foreign trade issues. He has advised clients on matters of corporate governance and compliance and has conducted numerous internal investigations related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) issues.
He is a frequent lecturer on the FCPA and the process of the investigation, prosecution and representation of individuals and business entities in matters before the federal government and its various agencies.
As U.S. Attorney from 2008-2010, he led one of the largest U.S. Attorney’s offices in the country which investigated and prosecuted corrupt public officials and law enforcement officers, child predators, violent and repeat offenders, narcotics violators, firearms smugglers and white collar offenders involved in a myriad of fraudulent activity ranging from Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act violations, international trade violations, identity theft, Medicare, Medicaid and FEMA fraud to mortgage fraud. In civil litigation, he led the office to secure large settlements in a number of False Claims Act matters and represented the United States in the border fence litigation.
Tim was an Assistant United States Attorney from 1985-1989 and spent two years as First Assistant U.S. Attorney from 2006-2008, after almost two decades of being in private practice where he represented individuals and corporations in matters before the United States and its various agencies.
From 1977-1985, he was a special agent with the Intelligence Division and later the Criminal Investigation Division of the Internal Revenue Service.
Professional History :
- United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas (2008 – 2010)
- First Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas (2006 – 2008)
- In private practice (1994 – 2006)
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges (1989 – 1994)
- Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas (1985 – 1989)
- Special Agent, Internal Revenue Service (1977 – 1985)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Southwest Regional Tax Fraud Committee (1985-2006)
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston, 1984
- B.B.A., Accounting, The University of Texas at Austin, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
Rate : $$$