Tim Tingkang Xia, Ph.D., is a Partner in the Atlanta office of Locke Lord LLP where he devotes his practice to foreign and U.S. intellectual property matters as well as significant international corporate matters. Chosen as the winner of the Client Choice for Intellectual Property – Patents for Georgia, Dr. Xia zealously serves his clients with a passion for devising unique solutions for their intellectual property matters.
An internationally known legal strategist, Dr. Xia has represented clients in significant matters involving various U.S. Governmental agencies including the Committee on Foreign investment in the United States (CFIUS), Department of Justice (DOJ) including the Office of Export Enforcement (OEE), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Federal Communications Commission (FCC), U.S. Securities arid Exchange Commission (SEC) and U.S. Department of Homeland Security including U.S. Customs and Border Protection. In particular, Dr. Xia has counseled Chinese clients in the unique issues they face entering and expanding their business in the U.S.
Dr. Xia continues to counsel clients in all phases of intellectual property law, including U.S. and foreign patents, trademark and copyright prosecution, patentability, clearance, infringements, validity, licensing, patent portfolio development and management, and litigation. Additionally, out of his passion and devotion, Dr. Xia still finds time from his busy practice to draft patent applications and IPRs for his clients.
Dr. Xia has prepared and prosecuted more than 3,000 patent applications in a variety of areas, including telecommunications, optics, mechanical and electronic devices, nanotechnologies, liquid crystal display devices, MEMS devices, lasers, quantum spin devices, semiconductors, biotechnologies, medical devices, e-commerce, firmware, software, heavy machinery, toner cartridges and toners, chemical compounds, and emerging green energy technologies.
Dr. Xia also has a broad range of experience nationally and internationally in the arena of intellectual property litigation, including patent, trademark, trade dress, copyright and trade secret matters. He has served as lead counsel in more than 40 cases, including ITC Section 337 Investigations, in front of various federal courts, state courts and administrate tribunals around the country.
Dr. Xia’s clients have ranged from individual inventors and high-tech startups to large international corporations, both private and public, and prestigious research universities and institutions around the world. Dr. Xia is a frequent speaker to technology and industry associations, international forums, universities, and to many other groups concerning international intellectual property protection as well as international corporation law.
Prior to his legal career, Dr. Xia was a physicist specializing in supercomputing, large scale computer simulation of complex fluids, super-thin-films of polymers, and Josephson junction superconducting arrays, electromagnetic properties of high Tc superconductors, and physics of granular metals. Dr. Xia published his research results and discoveries in Science, Phys. Rev. Lett.,Physics Review B, and other international leading academic research journals.
Representative Experience :
- Acting as lead counsel in several related high-profile cases, such as Ralls Corp. v. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, et al., Ralls Corporation v. Tema Energy USA Holding Corporation and United States of America v. Ralls Corporation.
- Acting as a principal outside worldwide patent counsel for a world class research institution by drafting, architecting, and managing a portfolio with hundreds of U.S. and foreign patents and patent applications since 2002, where the related technologies are cutting-edge, multi-discipline in nature, and complicated.
- Acting as lead managing counsel for more than 40 significant multi-party, multi-venue and multi-patent litigations since 2004.
- Acting as lead counsel representing an international technology company for completing an OEE investigation.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions :
- Recipient, the Client Choice Award for the Intellectual Property – Patents for Georgia by Lexology (2014)
- Recipient, the Contribution to the Education in Peking University Award (2013)
- Listed, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – as a top lawyer in Intellectual Property (2009 – 2014)
- Listed, Georgia Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite, Best Lawyers in Georgia for Intellectual Property (2008, 2011-2012)
- Georgia State Bar Association
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 1997
- Ph.D., Physics, The Ohio State University, 1990
- B.S., Physics, Peking University, 1982
Admissions : Georgia, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Rate : $$$