Tim J. Vanden Heuvel is a partner in the San Diego office of Lewis Brisbois and co-chair of the Consumer Litigation Defense & Financial Services Practice. Mr. Vanden Heuvel has extensive experience in multi-district and class action litigation, with emphasis upon the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Federal and State qui tam litigation, and privacy and identity theft litigation arising under State and Federal statutory law.
He has defended hundreds of consumer individual and class actions, and was designated as lead coordinating counsel for over 150 related TCPA lawsuits successfully defended in California state court (James M. Kinder Coordinated Litigation).
He has been a presenter regarding current issues in consumer law at numerous seminars and conventions, including American International Group, Chartis Insurance, ACA International, and the Enright Inn of Courts.
Representative client list includes JP Morgan/Chase, Sharp Healthcare, Sallie Mae, AIG/Chartis Insurance, Equidata, ACA International, and many leading firms in the credit and collections industry.
Mr. Vanden Heuvel also has extensive experience in the real estate area. He has possessed a California real estate broker’s license for 27 years, and has negotiated hundreds of transactions including high end residential for members of the San Diego Chargers, as well as commercial leases and purchases.
For many years, he was the chief litigation attorney for The Heritage Escrow Company (California’s largest independent escrow company), and has also defended many of California’s largest real estate brokerages in malpractice litigation.
Mr. Vanden Heuvel has also represented governmental entities in the mediation and arbitration of disputed lease provisions, and numerous homeowner associations in litigation.
- California Western School of Law, Juris Doctor, with honors, 1989.
- University of Wisconsin, Bachelor of Political Science, with honors, 1986.
Admissions : State Bar Admissions, California
- 2014: Lead defense counsel in TCPA class action brought against Southern California’s largest healthcare provider. Summary judgment obtained in precedent setting decision.Hudson v. Sharp Healthcare, U.S.D.C., Southern District of California case number 13-cv-1807 MMA. [Privacy Law 360,“Consent Defense Saves California Hospital From Robocall Suit,” June 27, 2014]
- 2012-2013: Lead defense counsel in Dominguez (City of San Diego) v. En Pointe Technologiesqui tam action, alleging widespread and pervasive data breaches of confidential law enforcement databases.
- 2009-2011: Lead defense counsel in Scott v. Calpers, et. al identity theft case involving inadvertent disclosure of hundreds of thousands of social security numbers of public entity union members seeking in excess of one billion dollars in damages. Class certification challenged and denied.
- 2000-2016: Lead defense counsel in numerous class actions in State and Federal courts involving the Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, as well as the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and State and Federal Privacy and Identity Theft Statutes.
- 2002-2006: Lead defense counsel for nationwide multi-district ephedra products liability litigation involving Metabolife International, Inc. In charge of formulating and implementing nationwide litigation strategy in individual cases as well as coordinated Federal cases.
- 2002: Lead defense counsel for Viacom International, Inc. in catastrophic loss (quadriplegia/brain injury) claim involving collapse of adjacent structure upon two construction workers.
- 2001: Trial Counsel defending Los Angeles Unified School District in catastrophic loss claim involving student rendered a quadriplegic during after school horseplay incident.
Rate : $$$$