Timothy C. Blank was the managing partner of Dechert’s Boston office for 14 years. He is a litigation partner on the trial team and is also head of Dechert’s data privacy and cybersecurity practice.
He represents technology, financial services and biotechnology companies in complex federal and state court litigation, including consumer and securities class actions and patent, copyright, trade secret, non-compete, and contract cases. He also advises on software licensing, data privacy and protection, IP transactions and government investigations.
Mr. Blank serves as a trial adviser for the Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Program, is a member of the Computer Litigation Section of the American Bar Association and has published a number of articles addressing the resolution of software licensing disputes and software copyright litigation. He is recognized as a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, a leading legal referral guide.
- Duke University, B.A., 1980, cum laude
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1986, magna cum laude, editor of the Boston University Law Review
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Program
- Computer Litigation Section, American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property
- Lead counsel in the successful representation of a multinational Internet company in a U.S. Federal Trade Commission investigation related to data privacy issues and theft of computer data.
- Representation of a technology company in patent litigation relating to computer network switches and routers (settled favorably).
- Representation of a multinational biotech company and its subsidiary in patent and licensing litigation related to siRNA synthesis (won dismissal of patent claim and successfully settled license issues).
- Successful representation of an Internet company in U.S. Federal Trade Commission investigation related to data privacy issues and theft of computer data.
- Representation of a major bank in litigation arising out of computer data theft involving millions of credit card numbers (ongoing).
- Successful representation of a privately held software company in litigation alleging breach of software license, copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets by a large publicly traded software company (three-week trial).
- Financial Services and Securities
- Drafting Information Security Programs and counseling various mutual funds, hedge funds and investment advisors with regard to state and federal data privacy and security rules.
- Successful representation of mutual fund companies in investigations by the SEC, NASD and state attorneys general.
- Advice to public and private fund companies, managers and advisors in connection with regulatory and contractual matters.
- Successful representation of public and private pension funds in litigation related to management of the funds.
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Successful representation of a software company in a dispute arising out of the acquisition of another company.
- Successful representation of a specialty food product manufacturer in litigation over worldwide distribution rights (two-week trial).
- Successful representation of a global chemical manufacturer in multi-billion dollar litigation arising out of explosion and fire.
Rate : $$$