Timothy J. Carlstedt is a seasoned environmental lawyer focusing on a broad array of environmental law, including compliance counseling, enforcement defense and litigation.
After more than twenty years practicing environmental law throughout California and on the east coast as in-house counsel, in government and at multinational law firms, clients rely on Tim’s practical and sound knowledge of environmental laws, regulations and issues to help them reach successful outcomes.
He has extensive experience navigating a variety of key environmental issues facing regulated communities today, such as permitting (including Title V and PSD/New Source Review), Process Safety Management (PSM), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) enforcement defense, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and storm water permitting, hazardous waste/substances remediation, compliance and cost recovery, OSHA enforcement, corporate due diligence and environmental insurance issues.
In addition to his robust regulatory experience, Tim’s trial experience includes obtaining a favorable judgment in environmental insurance cost recovery action in federal court, and with administrative proceedings, including appearances before the State and Regional Water Boards and with OSHA.
Prior to rejoining the firm in 2017, Tim served as Deputy General Counsel to the Presidio Trust, where, among other things, he advised the agency on environmental, health, safety and natural resource issues. During law school, Tim served as law clerk for the Honorable David Garcia in the San Francisco Superior Court.
A native of Santa Monica, Tim supports the firm’s environmental teams in both Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Clean Air Act: Managed manufacturing client’s PSD analysis for Title V Permit application.
- OSHA/PSM: Conducted internal investigations after death and serious injury incidents and negotiated resolution of administrative complaints with Cal/OSHA.
- NPDES and Storm Water Permitting: Represented permittees in proceedings regarding successive iterations of Phase I MS4 permits, selenium discharge limits, groundwater percolation issues, and Phase II MS4 coverage.
- RCRA: Represented clients in nationwide enforcement initiative and state and federal corrective action proceedings; counsel clients on RCRA compliance.
- CERCLA: Represented PRPs and steering committees in remediation proceedings and cost recovery actions.
- NEPA/CEQA: Negotiated with Water Board regarding the availability of NEPA documentation to satisfy CEQA requirements for wetlands restoration.
- Environmental Insurance: Negotiated manuscripted coverage for complex environmental matters and represented clients in cost recovery and coverage proceedings.
- Environmental Management Systems: Prepared EMS manual for farm implements manufacturer.
- JD, University of San Francisco School of Law, 1993
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, 1988
- Member, California Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
Rate : $$$