Timothy Farrell’s practice focuses on securities, corporate governance, and deal-related litigation, securities enforcement matters, and other complex commercial disputes. Tim represents public and private companies, large not-for-profit institutions, directors, management, and private equity sponsors in all phases of litigation and regulatory enforcement. Tim also draws on his litigation experience to advise clients on litigation, regulatory, and related risks weighing on critical business decisions and transactions.
Tim’s active pro bono practice includes his role as first chair trial counsel winning asylum for a man persecuted in his native Somalia for teaching English, as lead associate in Ropes & Gray’s recent partnership with GLAD to obtain an important ruling in the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court securing full parental rights for children of unmarried LGBT parents, and on the team that defeated Louisiana’s major health insurers’ attempt to refuse federal Ryan White premium assistance for low-income Louisianans living with HIV in the first reported case under the Affordable Care Act’s anti-discrimination provisions.
Prior to joining the firm, Tim served a fellowship year as Special Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago, co-chairing three federal jury trials in the Northern District of Illinois, and winning favorable verdicts and dismissals for the City and City employees in several cases.
- JD, cum laude, New York University School of Law, 2010; Vanderbilt Medal, Competitor & Competitions Coach, Moot Court Board
- BA, cum laude, Northwestern University, 2002
- MM, Manhattan School of Music, 2004
- Illinois, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 2016
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 2010
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Chicago Bar Association
- Guild Board of Directors, Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Regularly counsels buyers and sellers on risks and legal obligations attendant to complex business acquisitions and investments.
- Defended private equity sponsor in a combination class action / derivative suit in the Delaware Court of Chancery challenging a complex business merger and recapitalization transaction post-closing.
- Represented several corporate clients and their boards of directors in resolving Merger & Acquisition related litigation, achieving shareholder approval, closing on schedule, and obtaining dismissal of claims.
- Represented directors of a prominent hospitality group in defeating activist investor’s attempt to force an interim board of directors election based on alleged violations of federal proxy solicitation laws.
- Obtained dismissal of a consumer class action against a major hospital system related to its billing and collection practices.
- Represented an industry-leading software company in a multi-million dollar contract dispute with a former executive, culminating in an advantageous settlement.
- Represented various individuals under investigation by the SEC for insider trading, financial fraud, and books and records violations.
- Prosecuted consumer fraud claims and secured a favorable settlement for defrauded small business owner.
Rate : $$$$