Timothy Selby is the head of the Investment Management Practice at Alston & Bird and serves on the firm’s Partners’ Committee. He focuses his practice on advising clients with respect to the structuring and management of hedge funds, managed futures funds, private equity funds, and publicly offered-direct participation programs.
He represents a broad range of clients, employing a wide variety of alternative investment strategies; from well-established institutions to experienced fund managers that have decided to build their own asset management firms.
Mr. Selby advises clients with respect to compliance with, and exemptions from, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Commodity Exchange Act, Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, SEC and CFTC regulations, and NFA and FINRA rules.
- Established an alternative investment fund platform for an institutional investment manager.
- Counsel to the managed futures group of a major investment bank in connection with the formation of multi-tiered commodity pools.
- Advise mutual fund complex in connection with 40 Act funds investing in futures and derivative instruments.
- Counsel to the asset management group of a major investment bank in connection with the formation of a global macro master-feeder fund.
- Counsel to an independent investment adviser in connection with the structure of a master-feeder fund.
Bar Admissions : New York
- St. John’s University (J.D., 1993)
- Iona College (M.B.A., 1990)
- Iona College (B.B.A., 1987)
- Chairman of the Board of Directors (2016 – present), New York Alternative Investment Roundtable, an industry association devoted to enhancing educational transparency and promoting ethics among hedge fund industry participants.
- President (2008–2016), New York Alternative Investment Roundtable
- Member and Chairman Emeritus, Committee on Futures and Derivatives Regulation of the New York City Bar Association
- Member, Private Investment Funds Committee of the New York City Bar Association
Rate : $$$$