Tobias l. Knapp is a skilled transactional lawyer and Head of O’Melveny’s Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity practice for the United States. He advises on domestic and cross-border transactions and has extensive experience in corporate governance and general securities and corporate law.
Tobias has counseled management teams and boards of directors of public companies in connection with public and private M&A, corporate governance matters, joint ventures and other strategic transactions.
He regularly advises private equity and asset management clients on a variety of transactions, including portfolio company acquisitions, growth equity investments, private equity fund and direct investments, and the formation of private investment funds.
Described by clients in Chambers USA as “a very smart, flexible thinker,” he provides clients with responsive service and develops creative and pragmatic solutions for their most important matters.
Prior to O’Melveny & Myers, Tobias was co-chair of the private equity practice and a member of the management committee at another major law firm. He is proficient in Russian and has extensive experience with cross-border transactions.
Tobias has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of New York’s leading lawyers for corporate and mergers and acquisitions law, by The Legal 500 in the category of large M&A transactions (over $1 billion in size), and as a notable practitioner by the International Financial Law Review.
- Representation of TTM Technologies, Inc. in its $775 million acquisition of Anaren, Inc. from Veritas Capital.
- Representation of Honeywell International, Inc. in its acquisition of Aviaso AG, an international aviation software company.
- Representation of General Motors Company in private equity investment transactions on behalf of General Motors Asset Management Corporation and related entities.
- Representation of a leading publicly traded healthcare and diagnostics company in joint venture and acquisition transactions.
- Representation of Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in connection with capital raising and other strategic transactions.
- Representation of a leading European parcel delivery company in acquisitions of North American shipping, courier and transportation companies.
- Representation of Guggenheim Partners Investment Management in portfolio company acquisitions and investment transactions.
- Representation of Performance Equity Management in numerous private equity fund and direct investments.
- Representation of Bertelsmann and its North American subsidiaries in merger and acquisition transactions within the US.
- Representation of a major European pharmaceuticals company in the $1.4 billion acquisition of a publicly traded US chemicals business.
- Representation of the independent directors of Conversus Capital in connection with its $1.4 billion sale of private equity fund interests and direct co-investments to HarbourVest.
- Representation of the independent directors of Celanese Corporation in connection with negotiated exit transactions with the corporation’s private equity sponsor.
- Representation of General Dynamics Corporation in its $2.2 billion acquisition of Anteon International Corp.
- Representation of General Motors in connection with the Section 363 sale of substantially all of its assets following the financial crises, and its subsequent $23.1 billion initial public offering.
- Representation of Delta Air Lines, Inc. in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Comair Holdings.
- Representation of Canadian National Railway Company in its proposed $26 billion merger with Burlington Northern Santa Fe.
- Representation of First Group Plc in its $940 million acquisition of Ryder Public Transportation Services, Inc. from Ryder Systems.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Boston University, J.D., 1997: cum laude; Editor, Boston University Law Review
- Tufts University – Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, M.A.L.D.,1997
- Amherst College, B.A., 1991: cum laude
Rate : $$$