Todd R. Coles’ practice is concentrated in energy-related project development and financing and corporate transactions, both domestically and internationally.
He has extensive experience representing lenders, investors, utilities and developers in all aspects of power project development and financing and restructuring, including equity and debt financing, lease financing, asset purchases and sales, power and steam sales, fuel supply and transportation, construction, operation and maintenance and ownership structuring.
Todd has worked on a wide range of energy related transactions including gas, oil, coal, wind, solar, geothermal and hydro-powered electric generating facilities.
Todd is currently representing utilities in connection with renewable power sales agreements and renewable energy companies in connection with the development and acquisition of wind, solar and geothermal projects in the U.S. and abroad.
Representative Matters :
- Represented investor-owned utility in connection with the development and acquisition of a 50 MW wind powered electric generating facility and 30 MW power purchase agreement.
- Represented biodiesel company in US$10 million secured financing to facilitate acquisition of biodiesel feed stock and working capital needs, including drafting and negotiating debt, security and sponsor support agreements.
- Represented oil and gas development company in US$33 million secured convertible debt financing and subsequent restructuring, including drafting and negotiating debt, security and equity agreements.
- Represented investor in connection with the acquisition of a majority interest in a geothermal facility under development in Indonesia.
- Represented industrial company in connection with the sale of a biomass plant in the Dominican Republic and associated power purchase agreement.
- Represented independent power producer in purchase of Section 29 binder plants in West Virginia and Utah.
- Represented U.S. utility in connection with the negotiation of a power purchase agreement for a 100 MW wind powered electric generation facility.
- Represented U.S. utility in connection with drafting and negotiating multiple interconnection agreements and facility construction agreements.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Dean’s Fellow, 1991, The American University Law Review
- University of Illinois, B.A., cum laude, 1987, History
- University of Illinois, B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1987, Political Science/Economics
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, Illinois
Rate : $$$