Todd Freed focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and private equity, primarily in the financial services industry. Mr. Freed is co-head of the firm’s Financial Institutions Group and leads the firm’s pre-eminent insurance M&A practice, which recently was named Insurance Practice Group of the Year by Law360.
Mr. Freed has significant experience representing public and private acquirers and target companies, private equity firms, and investment banks in a variety of U.S. and international mergers and acquisitions, capital-raising transactions, joint ventures, restructurings, and other corporate matters.
Mr. Freed is a leading practitioner in M&A, contested transactions, proxy contests and corporate governance and regulatory matters. In addition, he advises clients with respect to takeover preparedness, SEC reporting obligations and cybersecurity matters.
Mr. Freed repeatedly has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and has been specifically recognized for his leading experience in the insurance industry, including repeatedly in Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Freed also has consistently been named as a leading lawyer in the mergers and acquisitions category in IFLR1000 and repeatedly recognized in Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America. In addition, he has consistently been named a Client Service All-Star by The BTI Consulting Group. Clients highly value and trust Mr. Freed for his hands-on and creative dealmaking approaches. Mr. Freed’s representative transactions include:
- Express Scripts Holding Company in its pending $67 billion merger with Cigna Corporation;
- NTL Incorporated (Virgin Media Inc.) in its $23 billion restructuring implemented through a prearranged Chapter 11 filing and parallel administration in the United Kingdom;
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc. in its $7.5 billion merger with HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc.;
- Credit Suisse as financial advisor to PartnerRe Ltd. in its $6.9 billion acquisition by EXOR S.p.A.;
- Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. in its: $6.3 billion merger with Sompo Holdings, Inc.; $1.8 billion merger with Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd.; and proposed $3.2 billion unsolicited acquisition of Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited;
- Amerigroup Corporation in its $4.9 billion merger with WellPoint, Inc.;
- Harbor Point Limited in its $3 billion merger of equals with Max Capital Group Ltd.;Fidelity & Guaranty Life in its: $1.835 billion merger with CF Corporation, a special purpose acquisition company backed by existing shareholders Blackstone Funds and Fidelity National Financial, Inc.; and proposed (now terminated) $1.6 billion merger with Anbang Insurance Group Co., Ltd.;
- Intact Financial Corporation in its $1.7 billion acquisition of OneBeacon Insurance Group, Ltd.
- J.D., Ohio State University College of Law, 1997 (summa cum laude; Associate Editor, Ohio State Law Journal)
- B.S., Ohio State University, 1988 (summa cum laude)
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$$