Todd J. Horn is a seasoned labor and employment attorney who represents clients in employment-related litigation. Todd has been repeatedly recognized by his peers and clients for his skill, professionalism, and confident presence, honed by decades of courtroom experience.
Todd also is a co-author of the comprehensive legal treatise, Maryland Employment Law (Lexis 2018), a book that federal and state courts and other lawyers have cited as a leading reference for more than two decades.
In his practice, Todd covers a wide range of industries, including healthcare, government contracting, financial services, retail, hospitality, construction, biotechnology, food service, and telecommunications.
He regularly handles cases involving “whistleblowing,” discrimination, compensation, disability accommodations, retaliation, sexual harassment, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), wrongful discharge, and defamation.
Todd also has significant experience successfully defending employers against class action wage and hour lawsuits under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Maryland law.
In addition, he helps clients avoid employee lawsuits and obtain strategic advantages in sensitive investigations, workforce reductions/reorganizations, disgruntled employee issues, and American Disabilities Act (ADA)/Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) compliance.
- After a four-week jury trial in 2013, Todd and his team obtained a defense verdict in a 13-plantiff, multi-million-dollar age discrimination lawsuit.
- Led a litigation team that won decertification of a nationwide class action for the U.S. Forest Service, a victory that saved the agency an estimated $8 million; Sedillo v. Visack
- Litigated one of the few cases in Maryland resulting in the complete denial of class certification under the FLSA; Syrja v. Westat, Inc., 756 F. Supp. 2d 682 (D. Md. 2010)
- J.D.William & Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law1987
- B.S.Economicswith honorsUniversity of Mary Washington1984
Bar Admissions :
- District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association, Sections of Labor and Employment Law and Litigation
- Member, Maryland Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Contributing author to Employment Discrimination Law, the official book of the ABA on the subject; the book has been cited by the courts of every circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court
- In 2005, coached the University of Maryland School of Law’s trial advocacy team in the ABA Labor and Employment Law Section’s Student Trial Advocacy Competition.
- Provides employment advice pro bono to charities and nonprofit organizations
- Earned the rank of Eagle Scout while in high school
Rate : $$$