Todd R. Steggerda is Chair of the firm’s Government Investigations and White Collar Litigation department, which was recently recognized by Law360 as a Practice Group of the Year. In a dynamic practice spanning nearly 20 years in Washington, Todd has resolved a diverse range of high-stakes government investigations and regulatory enforcement matters for companies operating in the defense, national security, technology, healthcare and other sectors, including dozens of matters investigated by the civil and criminal divisions of the Department of Justice and the Department of Defense.
Todd has represented leading contractors in enforcement proceedings and controversies involving the Department of Defense; the Department of Justice; the departments of the Air Force, Navy and Army; the Defense Criminal Investigative Service; the Defense Contract Audit Agency; the Special Inspector General for Iraq/Afghanistan Reconstruction; the U.S. Agency for International Development; the SBA; the Department of State; the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; and the General Services Administration.
Todd also litigates matters before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and has handled a wide range of contractor-related litigation in both state and federal courts, often involving sophisticated advanced weapons technology and complex government contracting issues.
He also responds to congressional inquiries related to defense and national security. In addition to leading internal investigations and handling regulatory enforcement actions, Todd has resolved disputes over contractor-related projects and programs in foreign jurisdictions, including Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Russia and Jordan.
Stemming from his previous service as Chief Counsel to a Presidential Campaign, Todd’s practice also focuses on the representation of political campaigns, party committees, political operatives, and other entities involved in politically-charged litigation, congressional and other government investigations, and regulatory enforcement matters before the Federal Election Commission and the Department of Justice.
Before joining McGuireWoods, Todd was a partner practicing in the litigation, investigations and enforcement arena at a global law firm. He was chief counsel to John McCain’s 2008 presidential election campaign.
- Lead Counsel on several high-visibility DOD IG investigations into allegations of procurement fraud involving the U.S. Air Force and other federal agencies.
- Lead Counsel on numerous claims, investigations and other disputes pertaining to construction projects and other programs in foreign jurisdictions, including Jordan, Pakistan, Russia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Representation of and advice to defense contractors and other clients pertaining to congressional inquiries, legislative strategy development, political and election law, and other issues involving various House and Senate committees, including the Senate Armed Services Committee and the Senate Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight.
- Lead Counsel on several engagements involving strategy development on FAR mandatory disclosure obligations associated with alleged improprieties on government contracts and involving the resolution of suspension and debarment issues and proceedings before the various agencies within the DOD and at USAID.
- The University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with High Distinction, Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Corporation Law, 1997
- United States Naval Academy, BS, Aerospace Engineering, 1987
Admissions : District of Columbia, Virginia
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Aerospace & Defense, Law360, 2018 – present
- Member, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Contract Appeals Bar Association
- Member, DC Advisory Committee, Operation Homefront
Rate : $$$