Todd P. Stelter is a litigation attorney who represents defendants in consumer law, legal malpractice and commercial litigation matters. He has extensive experience representing attorneys in professional liability, malpractice and defense matters.
He also frequently defends individual and class action claims against businesses, corporate entities, mortgage lenders, mortgage servicers, creditors, debt assignees and collection agencies alleging violations of federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Home Ownership Equity Protection Act (HOEPA), Illinois Interest Act, Illinois Collection Agency Act and the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.
Mr. Stelter also has substantial experience representing clients in a broad range of complex business, commercial and tort litigation matters. Mr. Stelter joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in February 2004.
Professional Affiliations : Chicago Bar Association
Representative Matters : He has handled multiple arbitration hearings, jury and bench trials with resulting defense awards and judgments. Mr. Stelter has also successfully defended clients associated with the following published matters :
- Gutierrez v. GC Services LP, 2010 WL 3417842 (E.D.N.Y. 2010) affirmed by Gutierrez v. GC Services LP, 430 Fed. Appx. 8 (2d Cir. 2011) (Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss granted and judgment in favor of defendant in FDCPA putative class action affirmed by Second Circuit)
- Golubeva v. GC Services LP, 767 F. Supp. 2d 369 (E.D.N.Y. 2010) (Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss granted and judgment in favor of defendant in FDCPA putative class action)
- Ruth v. MRS Associates Inc., 2006 WL 1207926 (N.D. Ill. 2006) (summary judgment granted in favor of defendant in FDCPA putative class action)
- Hernandez v. Attention LLC, 429 F. Supp. 2d 912 (N.D. Ill. 2005) (class certification denied and summary judgment granted in favor of defendant in FDCPA putative class action)
- Raymond v. Professional Claims Bureau Inc., 2005 WL 2491442 (N.D. Ill. 2005) (summary judgment granted in favor of defendant on FCRA claim)
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2002
- B.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999, Sociology
- B.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999, Economics
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Rate : $$$