Tom Tong’s practice focuses on China-related transactions as well as dispute resolution matters. In his transactional matters, Tom has represented numerous Chinese companies in the acquisition of U.S. based companies in manufacturing, distribution, engineering, and other industries. Tom also advises Chinese buyers in their acquisition of U.S. based real property as well as oil and gas interests.
In litigation and arbitration matters, Tom has represented some of the most prominent Chinese companies and individuals in lawsuits in the United States, involving breach of exclusivity, fiduciary duties, payment obligations, quality defects, non-compete, and other contractual and tort claims.
Having worked with the U.S. subsidiaries of numerous foreign based parent companies, Tom is familiar with many of the important legal issues foreign executives face when initially entering the United States. His knowledge of both the U.S. and Chinese legal systems, his understanding of the Chinese economic and political systems, and his language skills and cultural sensitivity enable him to efficiently identify issues unique to Chinese clients and provide strategic solutions thereto.
- Represent Chinese companies in acquiring office buildings, a golf course property, and land for commercial development in the U.S.
- Represent a Chinese company in its investment in a U.S. power generation company.
- Represented the first Chinese company in acquisition of U.S. helicopter engine manufacturer.
- Represented Chinese company in acquiring equity interest in U.S. oil and gas equipment distribution company.
- Represented dozens of Chinese companies in setting up their U.S. distribution subsidiaries and obtain working visas for their intra-company transferees and provide corporate governance advice on an on-going basis.
- Represented U.S. companies in setting up contract manufacturing relationships with Chinese companies — including U.S. medical device company contracting with Zhejiang and Shanghai manufacturers; U.S. steel products distributor contracting with producers in Jiangsu and Zhejiang; U.S. lighting products distributor contracting with manufacturing in Zhejiang, among others.
- Represent a Chinese company in shareholder disputes in connection with the underlying company’s financing activities.
- Manage matters with more than 2,000 investors/victims in Taiwan in an SEC investigation of securities investment fraud case.
- Defended affiliates of Sinochem in several cases filed in federal and state courts with multi-million dollar claims in connection with their export transactions.
- Defended a Chinese individual in a lawsuit in a Texas state court with a claim of over $20 million resulting from a dispute over marital asset division.
- Defended a Chinese software company based in Beijing in a lawsuit filed with a $1 million claim in a shareholder dispute.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 1999
- M.B.A., Rollins College, 1993
- B.A., Shan Dong University, China, 1987
Admissions : Texas, 1999
Rate : $$$