Tore Thomas DeBella advises clients on legal issues involved in branding, marketing, and privacy as they relate to consumer promotions, advertising, social media use and/or abuse, website policies and terms, trademark infringement, domain name registration and more.
Tore manages trademark portfolios through the entire brand “life cycle” – from selection and adoption of a brand through registration and enforcement. Tore has handled cases before the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board and in federal courts.
He manages all sizes of portfolios, both domestic and international, and is accustomed to working closely with clients to develop cost-effective brand strategies that work. Tore is a regular contributor to DBRanding, Drinker Biddle’s blog about brand protection.
Tore regularly advises clients on sweepstakes, contests, and other types of promotions, both digital and offline. He has, on many occasions, counseled clients regarding compliance with the various and complex state and federal laws in this area, both in terms of promotion structuring and disclosures.
He also routinely reviews proposed advertising and promotional materials, including social media programs, to help ensure compliance with FTC rules and identify intellectual property issues, potential false advertising liability and other risks.
Tore develops and counsels clients on strategies for compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations regarding the collection, processing, storage, transfer and disposal of personal data.
- Represented Native American petitioners before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and in federal district and appeals court in a landmark challenge to the “Redskins” trademark registrations owned by Washington professional football team.
- Represented a global musical instrument manufacturer in federal litigation regarding the shapes and names of iconic guitars sold by its predecessor and popularized by the Rolling Stones and other rock ‘n roll icons.
- Represented a well-known media company in its successful challenge to a third party’s registration of a mark for beauty salons similar to company’s flagship magazine name.
- Handled daily trademark matters, including numerous trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings, as well as routine legal review of sweepstakes and contest rules, for the largest retailer-owned supermarket cooperative in the United States.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2011, Journal of Law and Business Review, Virginia Journal of Law & Technology
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 2007
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Virginia
Rate : $$$$