A civil litigator, Torello H. Calvani represents national and international clients in securities, general commercial and bankruptcy litigation. An experienced and practical advocate, Torello takes pride in the work he does advising clients through a wide range of commercial disputes, whether in mediation, arbitration or litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts.
- Represented a former chief financial officer in a contract dispute with the nation’s largest mortgage real estate investment trust. The case involved an American Arbitration Association proceeding following the client’s resignation for good reason. After a weeklong arbitration, the parties settled for the client’s full demand amount.
- Represented the court-appointed receiver of a loan origination and servicing company in a consumer fraud case brought by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Advised the client in litigation over sales of company assets, and successfully defended the client against breach of fiduciary claims in district court and the court of appeals.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company accused of price fixing in a multidistrict consolidated class action litigation. The matter involved an internal investigation with dozens of witness examinations regarding potential criminal conduct and class action litigation brought by direct and indirect purchasers.
- Represented officers and directors of a global organic food company in a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation and in private class action litigation under Section 10(b) of the Securities Exchange Act arising out of a restatement of company earnings.
- Represented a foreign online game developer in class action litigation under Section 11 of the Securities Act for failure to disclose information prior to its initial public offering.
- Member of the team representing a financial institution during an auction-rate, securities-related investigation brought by the New York State attorney general.
Memberships : American Bar Association
- J.D., Cornell University Law School, 2006
- B.A., Columbia University, Columbia College, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York, 2007
Rate : $$$$