Travis Wall is a litigator who devotes a significant portion of his practice to the defense of insurance companies in coverage disputes involving property and casualty insurance, reinsurance, life insurance and ERISA and non-ERISA disability claims.
Mr. Wall has substantial knowledge in the area of cyber risks, and advises his clients on policy and coverage matters involving data breaches and the risks associated with the use of technology and social media.
Outside of his insurance practice, Mr. Wall represents both plaintiffs and defendants in securities cases, including the defense of registered investment advisors and broker dealers in court proceedings and FINRA arbitrations.
He also counsels companies on all facets of e-discovery, including the production of metadata and developments in technology assisted review (TAR). Mr. Wall joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP, where he founded Barger’s Cyber Risk and Technology Group.
Representative Matters :
- Successfully defended both primary and excess insurers in long-tail claims involving environmental contamination, progressive property damage, and asbestos injuries.
- Lead negotiator for insurer in settlements of widely publicized sexual abuse claims against religious institutions.
- Summary dismissal of lawsuit against stop-loss carrier concerning denial of coverage due to failure to disclose potential large loss claim.
- Defended life insurer against churning claims involving policies providing over $100 million in death benefits.
- Defended claims against investment advisor by institutional client to recover investment losses from 2008 stock market crash.
- Arbitrated suits before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) in claims involving allegations of fraud, unauthorized trading, unsuitable investment recommendations, and professional negligence.
Professional Affiliations :
- The State Bar of California, Member
- BASF Business Law Section, Co-Chair (2014-), Executive Committee (2012 to 2014)
- BASF Business Law Section, Member, Executive Committee (2012-2014)
- BASF Barristers Commercial, Business and Bankruptcy Law Section, Co-Chair (2005-2006)
- J.D., Boalt Hall, University of California, Berkeley, 1997
- M.A., Modern French History, University of California at Los Angeles, 1992
- B.A., with high honors, University of California at Berkeley, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Rate : $$$$