Tricia L. Schulz is partner and an intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Ms. Schulz counsels clients on a wide variety of intellectual property issues, including trademarks, branding, copyrights, licensing, enforcement, social media and advertising.
She is a member of the Trademark, Copyright & Advertising and Intellectual Property Litigation Practices as well as the Food & Beverage and Life Sciences Industry Teams.
Ms. Schulz regularly counsels clients on the selection and clearance of trademarks, and has extensive experience in the registration, global management, enforcement and defense of trademarks.
Ms. Schulz has also assisted clients in protecting and enforcing their rights in unique product features, such as color and shape. She has extensive experience in resolving trademark disputes and negotiating trademark agreements.
Ms. Schulz also routinely counsels clients on the registration and enforcement of copyright, and has assisted clients in resolving copyright disputes and negotiating copyright agreements.
She also has experience in domain name dispute resolution, and providing risk assessment and counseling concerning false advertising, including green marketing claims.
Ms. Schulz earned her law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School (magna cum laude, 2006), where she was a member of the Wisconsin Law Review (2004-05) and served on the board as symposium editor (2005-06).
During law school, she interned for University of Wisconsin Law School’s Legal Assistance to Institutionalized Persons Project (LAIP) and then served as a project assistant for the Remington Center. Ms. Schulz obtained her Bachelor of Arts in biology from Luther College (magna cum laude, 2001).
Admissions and Professional Memberships :
Ms. Schulz is admitted into practice in Wisconsin and before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin.
She is also a member of the Wisconsin Bar Association, the Association for Women Lawyers in Wisconsin, the American Bar Association and the International Trademark Association.
Representative Matters :
- Assisted Wing Capital Group, LLC, a Milwaukee-based private equity firm, in structuring the acquisition by Sani-Matic Holdings, LLC of all of the outstanding stock of Sani-Matic Systems Holdings, Inc., a Wisconsin-based corporation that owns all of the outstanding stock of Sani-Matic, Inc.
- Sani-Matic, Inc. specifies, designs, and manufactures sanitary process cleaning equipment including Clean-in-Place (CIP) Systems, Clean-Out of-Place (COP) Immersion Parts Washers, Automated Product Carrier Washers (Vat, Tunnel, Rack, Stick), Cabinet Washers, and related components.
- Consideration for the transaction involved a combination of cash and rollover equity. Foley also assisted the sellers (with buyer as guarantor) in securing traditional senior debt financing to facilitate the stock purchase, successfully negotiating all financing documents.
- In addition to negotiating and drafting the purchase agreement, Foley attorneys negotiated and drafted employment agreements and incentive unit agreements with key seller employees to ensure the acquired business assets would continue to be effectively managed following closing.
- The deal marks Foley’s first representation of Wing Capital Group in an acquisition. Foley successfully completed the acquisition and financing documents within a 21-day timeframe in order to meet the parties’ year-end closing goal.
- On an ongoing basis, Foley assisted DirecTV’s in house legal team regarding enforcement of the famous DIRECTV name and mark in social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter), urls (e.g.,UDRP proceedings) and, when necessary, at the USPTO (e.g., cease and desist work).
Rate : $$$