Influential with blue-chip companies from Japan to Israel, Troy M. Schmelzer’s patent prosecution, portfolio management and strategic counseling practice is as diverse as it is renowned.
A registered patent attorney with a background in electrical engineering, he represents clients in a wide variety of technologies, including augmented reality, mobile devices, communication equipment and systems, imaging products, semiconductor devices and medical devices.
Troy is also a respected voice on cutting-edge concerns: He leads presentations around the globe on innovative topics such as the intellectual property challenges of autonomous vehicles and 3D printing.
Supported by his extensive experience developing and implementing comprehensive and cost-efficient patent strategies and portfolios, Troy is a significant addition to the firm’s intellectual property team.
- Developed and managed the patent portfolio of a global leader in smart connected systems and devices for residential and commercial security, as well as home control and automation.
- Developed the patent strategy and portfolio for one of the first commercially available smartphones to merge cellular abilities, internet connectivity and PDA portability.
- Assisted an Israeli company in protecting the intellectual property for a home test kit that allows men to assess their fertility at home using their smartphones.
- Assisted a Japanese company in obtaining patent protection for its digital multifunction products, clean room automation systems and textile machinery.
- Conducted a worldwide freedom to operate study for a leading coffeehouse chain in connection with its facial recognition and customer recognition technology.
- Assisted a Japanese company in obtaining patent protection for its world-leading product lines of mobile devices and electronic components.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1992
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1989
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Registration No. 36,667
Rate : $$$