Tyler P. Brown is Co-Head of the firm’s bankruptcy and restructuring practice, rated Band 1 for Bankruptcy/Insolvency in Virginia by Chambers USA, and a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.
Chambers USA, 2016 interviewees state that Tyler “is well recognized as one of the leading bankruptcy lawyers in the state.” He advises clients on high-value Chapter 11 cases as part of his broad bankruptcy practice, and he has substantial experience handling complex bankruptcy matters from both the creditor and the debtor sides.
Tyler regularly represents debtors, creditors’ committees, and secured and unsecured creditors in complex chapter 11 cases. Tyler also handles loan workouts, lender liability claims, contract disputes, landlord-tenant disputes and other commercial litigation at the trial and appellate levels.
Tyler provides transactional and lending advice to commercial, consumer and mortgage lenders, private equity firms and hedge funds, and public and private companies. He has extensive litigation experience with adversary proceedings and contested matters in US Bankruptcy Court and commercial litigation in Virginia state and federal courts.
Tyler is admitted to practice in the US Supreme Court, the Virginia Supreme Court, the Third, Fourth and Eleventh Circuits, and the US District and Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia.
- Served as lead debtor’s counsel in corporate Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Represented numerous secured and unsecured creditors, directors, bondholders, trustees and equity interests in Chapter 11 reorganizations, restructurings and workouts.
- Significant trial and motions experience in Bankruptcy and District Courts throughout the eastern United States.
- Regularly represent corporations in defense of preference claims, turnover actions, fraudulent conveyance and transfer claims, and other bankruptcy and insolvency disputes.
- Handled defense of numerous consumer claims for national finance companies, banks and mortgage lenders.
- Handled defense of federal class actions against mortgage and consumer lenders on bankruptcy and RESPA claims.
- Represented insurance guaranty associations in numerous insurance company insolvencies.
- Successfully represented manufacturers and transportation companies in significant coverage disputes with insurers.
- Regularly advise Fortune 500 companies on bankruptcy-related issues involved in the structuring of corporate acquisitions, loans and other transactions.
- Substantial experience in attachment, detinue, replevin, injunction, seizure and other aggressive creditor actions.
- JD, Washington and Lee University, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, Washington and Lee Law Review, Vol. 44, 1987
- BA, Syracuse University, 1984
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy, Class of 2009
- Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation, Class of 2016
- Co-Chair of Planning Committee, Mid-Atlantic Institute on Bankruptcy and Reorganization Practice
- Past President, Richmond Bar Association
- President, Greater Richmond Bar Foundation
- Past Member, Board of Governors, Bankruptcy Section, Virginia State Bar
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Rate : $$$$