Ude Lu concentrates his practice in patent litigation for clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and consumer electronic industries. Ude practices Hatch-Waxman litigation, biologic/biosimilar litigation, and post-grant proceedings including inter partes review (IPR), post-grant review (PGR), and covered business method (CBM) in front of the USPTO.
Ude also practices patent procurement, including patent drafting and prosecution. His practice includes writing patentability opinions, infringement/non-infringement opinions, and freedom to operate opinions. He is experienced in advising clients in patent licensing, patent security interests, UCC Article 9 sales of patents, due diligence, and related transactional work.
His clients include software companies developing technologies in artificial intelligence, blockchain, internet-of-things, cloud computing, and cybersecurity. His clients also includes companies operating in biomedical devices, consumer electronics, mechanic-electric systems, telecommunications, and semiconductor manufacturing.
Ude advises clients on general privacy law compliance, including General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Ude is Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US).
With his educational background and doctoral research experience, he has extensive knowledge in electrical engineering, telecommunication, software, biomedical engineering, signal processing, mechanical engineering, neuroscience, protein science, and neurophysiology.
Ude earned his Ph.D. from the Center for Neural Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Southern California. His Ph.D. research focused on developing mathematical models of mammalian neurological systems. His Ph.D. research also involved developing electronic cortical prostheses to restore human brain cognitive functions, such as learning and memory.
He has professional bioinstrumentation experience working at the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica (Taipei, Taiwan) to develop various high-throughput technologies for DNA detection, purification, and sequencing. Ude received his M.S. in biological science and technology from National Chiao Tung University (Hsinchu, Taiwan).
During his master study, Ude developed a portable blood glucose quantification device and received a Taiwan patent (No. I236533). Ude received his B.S. in electrical engineering from National Chiao Tung University (Hsinchu, Taiwan). Ude speaks native Mandarin Chinese.
- Represented a publicly-traded Japanese drug company in Hatch-Waxman litigation. Assisted in drafting expert reports.
- Represented a publicly-traded US cell phone company in IPR proceedings. Drafted 6 IPR petitions that resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Drafted and prosecuted software patents for cloud computing, remote database management, encrypted communications, graphical user interfaces, and artificial intelligence. On behalf of publicly-traded U.S. software companies. Successfully and frequently handled Alice-101 rejections.
- Drafted and prosecuted patents for computational biology, mathematical modeling of biological systems, DNA-based diagnoses, and therapies for U.S. universities.
- Drafted and negotiated technology licensing agreements and executed UCC Article 9 sales on defaulted party’s patents for a top e-commerce company in Taiwan.
- Drafted and prosecuted various patents for compressor designs, heat exchanging systems, control algorithms, and related electric-mechanical designs on behalf of a publicly traded U.S. heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) company. Opined on patentability analyses, freedom-to-operate, and non-infringement analyses.
- Represented a number of Asian technology companies, drafted and prosecuted various patents for consumer electronics, semiconductor manufacturing. Procured international design patents through Hague Convention.
- Handled drafting and patent prosecution for a publicly-traded consumer electronic company in Japan regarding the manufacturing process, semiconductor structure, packaging, and quality control algorithms of OLED.
- Handled drafting and patent prosecution for publicly-traded U.S. software companies, universities, and research institutes regarding software for operating systems, database management, and identity content control, as well as for engineering modeling algorithms.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2014
- University of Southern California, Ph.D., 2011
- National Chiao Tung University, M.S., 2002
- National Chiao Tung University, B.S.E.E., cum laude, 2000
BAR ADMISSIONS :
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- New York
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) – 2018
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Rate : $$$