Valerie A. Slater is senior counsel in the firm’s international trade practice, previously serving as the practice manager. She has also served on the firm’s management and diversity committees, as well as the Washington office diversity committee. Ms. Slater concentrates on trade regulatory matters.Ms. Slater represents clients in proceedings before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission and the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. She has extensive experience with antidumping and countervailing duty cases, and with other types of unfair trade litigation, including GSP matters and safeguard cases. Ms. Slater also advises clients on WTO and trade policy matters.
She is a member of the Bar of the U.S. Court of International Trade and in 1998 was appointed to serve on the Court’s Advisory Committee on Rules. She has experience in filing, prosecuting, intervening in and arguing judicial appeals of administrative antidumping and countervailing duty determinations.
Her trade litigation experience includes cases involving both traditional and non-market-economy cases, and the resolution of trade cases through suspension agreements.Ms. Slater received her B.A. magna cum laude in 1974 from Allegheny College, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- Ms. Slater’s recent representative matters include:
- representing the U.S. nitrogen fertilizer industry in various antidumping and countervailing duty matters and in connection with WTO accession issues
- representing the U.S. uranium mining industry in achieving the first non-market economy antidumping suspension agreement and in the 20 years of the agreement’s administration.
- representing the Norwegian Seafood Export Council in achieving the revocation of the antidumping and countervailing duty orders against Norwegian salmon
- representing the Catfish Farmers of America in the first antidumping action against a product from Vietnam
- J.D., The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, 1977
- B.A., Allegheny College, magna cum laude, 1974
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$