Vern Norviel is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he leads the patents and innovations counseling practice. Vern has three decades of experience in formulating successful strategies for life science companies and the development of their IP programs. He represents a wide variety of companies, as well as venture capital firms, in areas such as therapeutics, diagnostics, nanotechnology, genomics, proteomics, and personalized medicine.
In fact, Vern’s interest in the field of personalized medicine prompted him to become the first attorney to have had his or her entire genome sequenced and made available in a public database. Before joining the firm in 2003, Vern was the general counsel and corporate secretary of Perlegen Sciences, Inc., a start-up biotechnology company that scans the entire human genome for important therapeutic and diagnostic products.
Previously, as senior vice president and general counsel, he was an early employee of Affymetrix, the biotechnology company that pioneered and developed DNA chip technology. He also had been a partner at Townsend and Townsend and Crew in Palo Alto.
During his career, Vern has authored or prosecuted more than 20 patents that have been litigated in the United States and abroad, and has overseen intellectual property lawsuits throughout the world.
Vern previously served as a member of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati’s board of directors and currently serves on the board of the WSGR Foundation. In addition, he is a lecturer in biotechnology law at UC Berkeley School of Law.
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- Master’s degree, University of Santa Clara
- Undergraduate degree, University of Colorado, Boulder
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Lecturer, “Biotechnology Law,” UC Berkeley School of Law
- Board Member, Morris Animal Foundation
- Board Member, The Parkinson’s Institute
- Present Advisory Board Member, Center of Science, Technology, and Society, Santa Clara University
- Past Advisory Board Member, The Whitaker Biomedical Engineering Institute at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Member Emeritus, Advisory Committee, School of Engineering, University of Colorado
- Inaugural Member, Public Advisory Committee, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Member, American Bar Association
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$