Vidhya Prabhakaran is a California energy attorney with substantial experience before the California Public Utilities Commission, the California Energy Commission, the California Air Resources Board, the California Independent System Operator, and the California Legislature working for his energy clients as well as clients in the transportation, telecommunications, and water industries.
Together with the other members of the DWT energy practice group, Vid assists clients with formulating, presenting, and advocating policy positions on greenhouse gas reduction, procurement, ratemaking, and safety. Vid also assists clients with regulatory approvals, utility rate and certificate proceedings, acquisitions and dispositions of regulated assets, energy-related contracts, project finance, energy-related dispute resolution, and energy litigation.
Vid’s clients include: South San Joaquin Irrigation District, the City of Long Beach, Tesla Inc., Uber Technologies Inc., the California Community Choice Association, Marin Clean Energy, Peninsula Clean Energy, Powerex Corporation, Liberty Utilities (CalPeco Electric) LLC, Bear Valley Electric Service, and the Morongo Band of Mission Indians.
As chair of the DWT energy practice and as a member of the firmwide executive committee, Vid focuses a great deal on the changing nature of the profession and has served on a number of committees and taskforces inside and outside the firm focused on modernizing the practice of energy law in California, incorporating technology into the practice, promoting diversity in the profession, and improving client service.
- Associate, Goodin, MacBride, Squeri, Day & Lamprey, San Francisco, 2006-2009
- Summer Associate, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP, Washington, D.C., 2005
Professional & Community Activities:
- President, Conference of California Public Utilities Counsel; Co-Chair and Co-Founder, Young Utility Lawyers Committee, 2010-2012
- Board Member, Bar Association of San Francisco; Technology Committee Co-Chair, 2008-2009; Equality Committee Co-Chair, 2012-2015
- Board Member, Justice & Diversity Center, Bar Association of San Francisco, 2013-2015; Executive Committee, 2015
- Board Member, South Asian Bar Association of Northern California, 2007-2009 and 2014-2016; President, 2015-2016
- Board Member, South Asian Americans Leading Together, 2011-2015, Treasurer, 2014-2015
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2006
- President, Student Bar Association
- Clinic: Harrison Institute for Policy Law
- Washington Law Reporters Prize
- B.A., Political Science, Yale University, 2003
- Student Body President
Rate : $$$$