Vincent J. Connelly focuses his practice on trial work, including both criminal and civil litigation. His criminal trial experience includes cases involving antitrust, FCPA, securities, government contract and program cases, RICO, commercial and financial frauds, and public corruption.
His civil litigation experience emphasizes representing major corporations, officers, and board members in federal and state proceedings. He has represented law firms and individual lawyers. Vince’s trials have involved antitrust, securities law, commercial disputes, ERISA investment advisor disputes, public corruption, and numerous complex internal investigations.
Vince has had primary trial responsibility in over 90 federal and state cases, including more than 70 jury trials, and he has been responsible for 15 appellate briefs and arguments in the Seventh Circuit. Vince began his career as a federal prosecutor in Chicago and was the Chief of Special Prosecutions.
For a number of consecutive years, he has consistently been awarded the highest Band 1 ranking for both general commercial and white-collar crime litigation from Chambers USA, which has said, among other things, that Vince is an “outstanding lawyer” who “offers phenomenal client service,” is a “go-to person on high visibility matters” (2016) and that he is “a formidable opponent with copious common sense and good judgment” (2006-2007).
In addition, Best Lawyers, a leading peer review legal publication, named him the Chicago “Lawyer of the Year” (2010) for Bet-the-Company Litigation. Vince has been recognized in 3 “Top 10” Lists by the Leading Lawyers Magazine for Illinois in the categories: All Areas of Law, Business Lawyers, and Business Litigators.
He is also consistently ranked as one of Benchmark’s “Litigation Stars” on both the national and local levels. In the 2015 Benchmark survey, Vince was listed as a General Commercial “Litigation Star” for Illinois.
- The University of Chicago Law School, JD
- University of Notre Dame, BA, summa cum laude
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Blue Ribbon Committee appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to review the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
- Former President, Chicago Inn of Court
- Co-Founder, Wong Sun Society (of white collar criminal defense attorneys)
- Mayoral-appointed Committee of City of Chicago to recommend safety improvements after nightclub tragedy
- Member, Committee to update 7th Circuit Pattern Criminal Jury Instructions
- Represented multi-national corporation in civil antitrust case.
- Defended a hospital in a jury trial against claims of civil fraud and RICO conspiracy.
- Defended a commodity brokerage firm in a jury trial against a $250 million claim by wealthy family; the client avoided all claimed damages against it and gained a $14 million verdict on its counterclaims.
- Represented outside directors of public company in a shareholder commercial lawsuit.
- Represented steel manufacturing CEO in four week criminal antitrust jury trial with client found not guilty on all charges.
- Provided lead representation in an 11-week criminal health care fraud trial in which the defendants were acquitted of all charges.
- Represented elected officials in federal trials.
- Represented an investment advisor in an Enron-related ERISA claim.
Rate : $$$