Vinita Ferrera focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation, with an emphasis on intellectual property disputes, including patent, trademark, trade dress, copyright and trade secret claims.
She has litigated cases involving a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, consumer products, computer hardware and software, financial services and electronic commerce.
Her practice has encompassed all facets of litigation, including discovery, trials, injunction proceedings, appeals, settlement, and alternative dispute resolution, before federal and state courts, as well as administrative agencies including the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
In 1999, Ms. Ferrera served as a special assistant district attorney in the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office, where she prosecuted a variety of criminal cases for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Ms. Ferrera is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the state of New York, and before the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Ms. Ferrera is a member of the Board of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Economic Justice. She is also a member of the Boston Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Successfully tried a patent case for a small biotechnology company accused of infringement by its larger competitor
- Obtained a defense jury verdict for a provider of cloud-based collaboration solutions in a patent infringement case
- Successfully represented a large automobile manufacturer in several arbitrations arising from the manufacturer’s termination of dealers during bankruptcy
- Obtained a jury verdict of trade dress validity and infringement for a Japanese manufacturer involving the unique design of its engine
- Successfully defended a semiconductor company against allegations of patent infringement involving video-compression technology
- Successfully tried a trademark case for a large financial institution involving competing claims to a trademark used by both parties for over a century
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an Internet company in a case involving novel trademark and copyright issues arising from online advertising practices.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 1995
- BA, University of Colorado, 1992
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, New York
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE :
- State and Local Government
- Special Assistant District Attorney, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Rate : $$$