Vision Winter is an effective litigator who draws on his extensive legal and engineering experience to help companies protect their interests in complex litigation spanning a range of areas, including commercial disputes and patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property matters.
Vision’s clients include some of the world’s leading names in industries that include aerospace and defense, agriculture, business systems, consumer electronics, medical devices, mobile devices, microprocessors and semiconductors, and real estate.
A registered professional engineer in the State of California with industry experience in power/control engineering, project management, real estate, and construction, Vision understands that business clients need more than a list of legal options—they need well-reasoned legal recommendations, regular case updates, and clear, timely responses to decision requests.
- Representing a major satellite radio broadcaster in high-profile lawsuits alleging purported “performance rights” in sound recordings made before 1972.
- Representing a home owners association in ongoing litigation against the building’s developers and other parties for significant defects in a luxury high rise condominium.
- Representing Samsung in a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of Texas and District of Delaware involving semiconductor processing and packaging.
- Represented a global agricultural company in a US$100+ million breach of contract and interference lawsuit involving organic fertilizer.
- Represented Top Victory Electronics in Florida Atlantic University Research Corporation v. Top Victory Electronics (Taiwan) Co. Ltd., a patent infringement case in the Middle District of Florida related to digital display image scaling technology; won summary judgment of invalidity.
- Represented Top Victory Electronics in Hitachi Consumer Electronics Co. v. Top Victory Electronics (Taiwan) Co. Ltd., a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of Texas involving 10 patents related to digital television technology; achieved a compete defense verdict.
- Represented Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) in Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. v. Intel Corporation, an antitrust case involving claims of unlawful monopoly maintenance in the worldwide x-86 microprocessor market; obtained an historic US$1.25 billion settlement and wide-ranging injunctive relief.
- Represented a leading consumer electronics company in a patent infringement case involving more than a dozen asserted patents relating to features of smartphones, tablet devices, and MP3 players.
- Represented Samsung in two related US International Trade Commission Investigations and four related district court actions in Delaware and California in a multi-patent dispute between Samsung and AU Optronics relating to LCD technology; negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Represented Samsung in National Cheng Kung University v. Samsung, a patent infringement case; the case was dismissed with prejudice.
- Representing Samsung as defendant and plaintiff in a lawsuit and countersuit against NVIDIA involving allegations of patent infringement related to semiconductor technology.
- Represented Lockheed Martin Corporation in defending a patent infringement action involving particle detectors used in military and other applications for portable toxic gas detection; won summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Represented Top Victory Electronics in In re Certain Integrated Circuits, Chipsets, and Products Containing Same Including Televisions, a Section 337 ITC investigation instigated by Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., involving patents related to digital television technology; achieved a final determination of no Section 337 violation.
- Represented Top Victory Electronics in In re Certain Digital Televisions and Certain Products Containing Same and Methods of Using Same, a Section 337 ITC investigation instigated by Funai Electric Company, Ltd., involving patents related to digital television technology; won a final determination for the respondents following two evidentiary hearings.
- Represented Belkin Corporation in a multi-defendant patent infringement action in the Western District of Washington brought by Avocent Redmond Corp. involving keyboard-video-mouse (KVM) switch technology.
- Represented AMD in an Eastern District of Texas patent infringement litigation brought by MicroUnity Systems Engineering alleging infringement of 12 patents relating to the operation of the floating point unit at the core of AMD’s microprocessors; negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Represented OrthoClear, Inc., and related entities in defending a Section 337 ITC investigation instigated by Align Technology, Inc., involving software and technology used to manufacture clear dental aligners; negotiated a favorable settlement that included a substantial payment to OrthoClear.
- Represented Nova Information Systems, a subsidiary of US Bank, in defending patent infringement allegations brought by LML Payment Systems in the District of Delaware involving technology used in point-of-sale check processing systems; settled for nuisance value.
- Represented Belkin Corporation in defending a patent infringement matter brought by Netalog, Inc., involving FM transmitters that allow an MP3 device to transmit its signal to, and play through, a radio receiver; the dispute was settled on favorable terms.
- Represented AMD in cases before the US International Trade Commission and the Northern District of California in which Richtek Technology Corp. alleged that its trade secrets were stolen and used to make electrical circuit components that infringed three patents relating to DC-DC power controllers; the cases were settled successfully with a freedom-to-operate agreement.
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- California State Supreme Court
- Pepperdine University, J.D., cum laude; Lead Articles Editor, Pepperdine University Law Review
- University of California at Santa Barbara, B.S., Chemical Engineering, with high honors
- American Bar Association; Los Angeles Intellectual Property Lawyer’s Association
Rate : $$$