W. Steven Bryant’s bankruptcy and restructuring experience spans a broad range of industries. Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, he has represented both corporate debtors as well as secured and unsecured creditors in complex business bankruptcy cases across the United States. Steven also represents plaintiffs and defendants in bankruptcy-related litigation.
Representative Experience :
- Represented the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union 1245 as its bankruptcy counsel in In re PG&E Corp., et al., Case No. 19-30088, which is pending in the Northern District of California. The IBEW represents thousands of PG&E employees and contractors and is a member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of PG&E. The PG&E Chapter 11 cases are among the largest and most complex Chapter 11 cases ever filed in the United States.
- Represented a buyer (backed by private equity) in In GreenHunter Resources, Inc., Case No. 16-40956, in the Northern District of Texas. The debtors were oil-field services companies with several million in secured debt. The client prevailed at an open auction with a bid of over $20 million in total consideration for substantially all of the debtors’ assets. The bankruptcy court approved the sale, which enabled the debtors to confirm a Chapter 11 plan.
- Counseled a Fortune 500 bank in In re WMF Airport Hotel Ltd, Case No. 11-34676, a Chapter 11 case brought by a Holiday Inn hotel in Houston, Texas. The parties eventually restructured the bank’s $11 million loan as part of an agreed Chapter 11 plan of reorganization.
- Represented clients in numerous bankruptcy-related lawsuits, including adversary proceedings alleging violations of the Bankruptcy Code, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
- Structured complex commercial transactions, including syndicated and non-syndicated loans and capital-equipment finance leases, outside of bankruptcy. Among other projects, conducted a top-to-bottom review of a Fortune 500 client’s finance-leasing and loan documentation.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- President, Turnaround Management Association, Central Texas Chapter (2019)
- Member, Austin Bar Association Bankruptcy Section
Community Leadership :
- Member, Abiding Love Lutheran Church
- Member, Austin Sister Cities International Committee
- J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2000
- M.A., Government, The University of Texas at Austin, 1997
- B.A., History and Political Science, magna cum laude, Rice University, 1993
Admissions : Texas, 2000
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 2004
Rate : $$$