Waldemar J. Pflepsen represents financial services companies, insurers, and managed care companies in complex and class action litigation nationally regarding their life, pension, health, and investment products.
Over the past three decades he has successfully handled more than 75 class actions involving a wide variety of insurance and financial products, business practices, and legal issues, and has tried numerous cases and argued multiple appeals in federal and state courts.
Wally has authored numerous articles and papers and co-authored two litigation treatises on insurance, class action, and complex litigation topics, including ERISA. He regularly chairs or participates in programs sponsored by legal and trade organizations addressing class action and complex litigation topics. He also served two federal Judicial Clerkships.
- Welp v. CIGNA Health and Life Ins. Co., 2017 WL 3263138 (S.D. Fla., July 20, 2017)
- McCaffree Fin. Corp. v. Principal Life Ins. Co., 811 F.3d 998 (8th Cir. 2016) (amicus curiae)
- Merrimon v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of Am., 758 F.3d 46 (1st Cir. 2014), cert. denied, 135 S. Ct. 1182 (2015) (amicus curiae)
- U.S. Bank Nat’l Assn v. PHL Variable Ins. Co., 2014 WL 2199428 (S.D.N.Y. 2014)
- Leimkuehler v. American United Life Ins. Co., 713 F.3d 905 (7th Cir. 2013), cert. denied, 134 S. Ct. 1280 (amicus curiae)
- Nationwide Life Ins. Co. v. Haddock, 460 F. App’x 26 (2d Cir. 2012) (amicus curiae)
- Bradberry v. John Hancock Mutual Life Ins. Co., 222 F.R.D. 568 (W.D. Tenn. 2004)
- Ziegler v. Connecticut Gen. Life Ins. Co., 916 F.2d 548 (9th Cir. 1990)
- LaVay Corp. v. Dominion Fed. Sav. & Loan Ass’n, 830 F.2d 522 (4th Cir. 1987) cert. denied, 484 U.S. 1065 (1988)
- Wemhoff v. Investors Mgmt. Corp., 528 A.2d 1205 (D.C. App. 1987), cert. denied, 491 U.S. 906 (1989)
- American University, J.D.
- Michigan State University, B.A.
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Michigan
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, Second Circuit, Third Circuit, Fourth Circuit, Fifth Circuit, Sixth Circuit, Seventh Circuit, Eighth Circuit, Ninth Circuit, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$$