Walter R. Mccabe most recently led the firm’s national real estate investments & transactions group. For nearly 30 years, Walter has served as counsel and advisor to a broad range of clients, including institutional investors in real estate, private equity investors, municipal and nonprofit institutions, real estate operators and Fortune 500 corporations handling a broad range of real estate investment and real estate related matters.
Walter focuses his practice on representing investors in all types of real estate investments and financings. Simply put, such activity involves “putting money to work” in real estate. Walter handles acquisitions, sales, financings, fund formations, co-investments and joint venture investments.
Walter also represents a number of institutional clients and public entities in connection with development, design and construction-related projects. Walter regularly represents Abrams Capital, TPG Capital, and Siguler Guff & Company in real estate related investments.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1986
- BA, magna cum laude, Boston University, 1983
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, 1986
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- National Association of Industrial & Office Properties
- A major fund sponsor: Represented in a joint venture deal to acquire 5 Times Square in New York City for approximately $1.5 billion. In addition to negotiating the joint venture agreement, the transaction involved the transfer of a ground lease from the City of New York, the assumption of an approximately $1.1 billion CMBS mortgage loan and the defeasance and replacement of the existing mezzanine debt.
- Abrams Capital Management LP and Amerimar Enterprises Inc.: Represented in a joint venture acquisition of 401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia housing telecommunications facilities for a total purchase price of approximately $200 million. The 11-story building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, includes 1.3 million square feet of space.
- A preeminent global hedge fund: Leads the negotiations of numerous joint ventures with operating partners and related acquisitions of real estate and real estate related debt, including many acquisitions of hotels and distressed debt from banks and other financial institutions throughout the U.S. and around the world.
- Works with our investment management attorneys in the formation of a series of real estate investment funds for an existing distressed fund sponsor, now representing such funds in combined joint venture/co-investment/fund investment involving feeder structures, investment and property level REITs, tax exempt and ERISA issues.
- A multinational pharmaceutical company: Advises on select real estate matters including acquisitions and dispositions on the development and operation of innovation centers.
- A New York health care institution: Represented on development projects where we have handled major and minor project management, design and construction contracts for projects as well as resolution of construction and mechanic’s lien issues.
Rate : $$$