Walter J. St. Onge serves as bond counsel, disclosure counsel or counsel to underwriters throughout New England and elsewhere for financings by states, municipalities and public authorities for transportation, housing, health care, educational, solid waste, industrial development and general governmental purposes. He also serves as borrower’s counsel to non-profit colleges.
Walter has also been named as a fellow by The American College of Bond Counsel and served as President of the National Association of Bond Lawyers in 2005-2006. He is also a former member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Representative Experience :
- Served as bond counsel to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with respect to establishment of its approximately $3 billion Accelerated Bridge Program, including the initial issuance in 2010 of approximately $576 million of special obligation bonds to finance the program.
- Served as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation in connection with the refinancing of approximately $2 billion of outstanding bonds issued by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.
- Served as special counsel to Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation in connection with the conversion, remarketing and refunding of pollution control revenue bonds issued by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority on behalf of Niagara Mohawk.
- Served as underwriters’ counsel for Massachusetts Turnpike Authority financings and Puerto Rico Highway Authority.
- Served as bond counsel to the Town of Rochester, Massachusetts and the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency for the SEMASS waste-to-energy facility in Rochester, Massachusetts and underwriters’ counsel in connection with financings for a waste-to-energy facility undertaken by the Solid Waste Disposal Authority of the City of Huntsville, Alabama.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- President: 2005-2006 President-Elect: 2004-2005 Treasurer: 2003-2004 Member of Board of Directors: 2001-2007 Former Chair and Vice Chair – NABL Securities Law and Disclosure Committee, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, The American College of Bond Counsel, Fellow
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 1981
- B.A., cum laude, Yale University, 1978
Admissions : Massachusetts, 1981
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Rate : $$$