Walter “Pete” H. Swayze is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Lewis Brisbois and co-chair of the Life Sciences Practice and vice-chair of the Products Liability Practice. Mr. Swayze primarily concentrates his practice on defending clients facing claims of catastrophic injuries from products liability and complex litigation matters.
Mr. Swayze has prepared complex construction, professional liability, transportation, and civil rights matters for trial and has significant jury trial experience in high exposure cases in both state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.
He has also served as designated trial counsel in various state and federal courts in his role as coordinating counsel. He has prepared and presented corporate designates, engineers, doctors, experts, and licensed professionals of all disciplines for deposition.
Further, Mr. Swayze is experienced in complex trial motion practice and the preparation of case dispositive motions in courts throughout the United States, and he has handled numerous appellate matters including arguing cases in the Pennsylvania Superior Court, The Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and The Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Swayze previously served as lead defense counsel in the Philadelphia latex glove allergy litigation; he now serves as defense liaison counsel in two pharmaceutical products liability matters involving branded and generic prescription drugs and medical devices pending in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
At the national level, Mr. Swayze has served as National Coordinating Counsel for two OTC drug product companies, participating and managing the clients’ cases on a national basis, and he represents clients as local counsel on numerous coordinated defense efforts.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Mr. Swayze was a shareholder and Chair of the Drug and Medical Device Practice Group for a large Philadelphia based regional law firm. Mr. Swayze is involved in numerous organizations including the Council on Litigation Management, Defense Research Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Association, and Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel.
He has been asked to address both industry groups and insurers at distinguished forums including national conferences, speaking on topics such as issues presented in various types of litigation, substantive issues of the law, and effective claims handling under the purview of the relationship between the insurance company and its lawyers.
- Widener University School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1990
- University of Richmond, Bachelor of Science, 1986
- State Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Defense Research Institute
- Litigation Counsel of America, 2015 Fellow
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Rate : $$$$