Warren Widmayer handles estate planning and employee benefits law matters. Following the death of Larry Ferguson, partner and co-founder of the firm, Warren assumed leadership of the firm’s estate planning practice, particularly for estates with potential exposure to federal estate tax.
Warren continues to represent numerous retirement plans and retirement plan sponsors in Michigan and other states. He is a past Chair of the Taxation Section of the State Bar of Michigan, past Chair of the Great Lakes Area TE/GE Council (an IRS Employee Plans liaison group), and a frequent author and speaker on employee benefits issues.
He has been listed for many years in The Best Lawyers in America for his expertise in Tax Law and Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and was named Best Lawyers’ 2012 and 2016 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law “Lawyer of the Year” for Ann Arbor and Best Lawyers’ 2017 Tax Law “Lawyer of the Year” for Ann Arbor.
When not spending time with his wife, Beth, or his three children and grandchildren, Warren pursues a number of other interests, chief of which is his musical training. He is a long-time saxophone student in the jazz combo program at the Community Music School of Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor’s non-profit community music school, and plays in a couple of local amateur music groups.
- University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Michigan, 1983
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 1983
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1984
- U.S. Tax Court, 1986
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Board of Directors, Washtenaw County Estate Planning Council, 1986-1987
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Great Lakes Area TE/GE Council, 2006 – Present
Rate : $$$$